Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 14:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 21:09 pm 

Hi, my name is Zeb. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 6 and streetbikes since 16. Last year, at the age of 33 I was on my main bike, a Ducati 1098S and was involved in a 2 bike accident (my best friend was on the other bike and didn't make it). This accident caused multiple injuries such as broken jaw, collapsed lung, many broken ribs, amputated left ring finger, etc. The worst injury was a TBPI injury on my right side leaving me with a paralyzed right arm for life. Even with this injury, riding is in my blood and I was determined to get back on a bike so I modified my backup bike, a 2002 VFR, moving the throttle to the right side and attempting to throttle and clutch with left hand. This was especially difficult with the injuries to my left hand so I started looking for other options. I then learned of the two new bikes Honda has with new DCT (auto) options, the VFR and the NC700. Being a big fan of the VFR series, I was leaning towards the VFR but was concerned about being able to put enough input into the handlebars to change directions in such a heavy bike and considering I would be using it mostly in LA, I went with the NC700. After moving the throttle to the left and front brake to the left (since there is no clutch), I was off.

As most of you riding with one arm know, riding is a bit slower since you can't force the bike around like you used to, it is definitely not impossible. I still split lanes here in LA and am gaining more confidence every day. I will be attempting to attach pics and links to a few youtube videos and look forward to interacting with yall on this board. Thank you.
Zeb

*well, looks like i'm "not authorized to post images or url's.....

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 07:08 am 
Hurricane

Welcome Zeb your determination to continue riding is impressive. I think you need to have a certain number of posts before you can post images.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 am 
Hurricane

Welcome, I think it's 2 posts before you can post images as a spam preventer.

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 14:26 pm 
Hurricane

Hey Zeb

Sorry to hear about your friend and the injury's you recieved, but I am glad to hear you havent given up with the riding :D

I lost the use of my left arm TBPI in June 2001, recovering from my injury's I got back riding again by 2006, I started racing in 2008 and this year hope to complete race distance at the Manx Grand Prix, thats 4 laps just over 150 miles at race speed!

Good luck & stay safe!

http://mobile.twitter.com/Bigmitch_racing
http://www.bigmitchracing.im/
Facebook: Chris Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 14:39 pm 
Hurricane

hello and welcome to the forum.

looking forward to the pictures...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 09:30 am 

Hi Zeb, I'm sorry to hear of your accident and my thoughts are with your mate and his nearest and dearest. Thank you for your post. I too suffered a right side BPI later having my arm amputated. Nine years later and I'm desperate to get back riding. I've been looking at the NC750X DCT and this maybe my future ride. Could you tell me if the modifications were difficult and who carried them out for you? With there being no clutch lever on the left hand side bar of the NC750X DCT, l guess makes the job a bit easier. More importantly, how is riding with only your left arm and what do you do with your right arm. I'd guess going would be a little slower and more awkward but hopefully not impossible. I'd love to see your YouTube vids if you ever got around to doing any, if you could post a link, that'd be great. I can't wait to hear your reply and hopefully there is a future out there somewhere. I'm struggling to find other riders that ride with only their left hand. Cheers, Jon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 18:30 pm 

Hi John - did you get help regarding riding a bike with only your left arm? I have a right sided BPL and have ridden many bikes which I have adapted myself. I would avoid the DCT NC Honda - they are great for commuting but a tad uninteresting - depends on what you want of course. I have had trail bikes, sports bikes, naked bikes etc etc and riding with 1 arm, once you get used to it, is easy enough, in fact there are advantages(!!! True!!) as you will no doubt discover. Let me know if u want any ideas on conversions, as I said I have converted many. please don't feel restricted on choice, so long as the bike has a cable operated throttle (instead of newer fly-by-wire type) I am confident you can convert. I learnt to ride with 1 arm after my accident on a Honda CB1100r, 530lbs & 112 BHP, no problem, went to Bol D'Or 2 up.
Where r u?
Cheers
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 19:52 pm 

Hiya John, thanks so much for your message. I'm in Stamford Lincolnshire, just off the A1. Regarding the bike, I bought myself a 2003 CB500 off ebay to tinker about with and haven't done much more since. I've been in negotiations with my local Honda dealer in Peterborough regarding the adaptions required on a new NC750X DCT and the results are very positive, at a price though. I'm more than worried about price and more so my ability. I'm not too interested in excitement anymore as it was probably a bit of over excitement that got me into this situation in the first place. I think a boring commuter would be fine. I had my arm amputated 6 months after my accident and a prosthetic wouldn't be much use, how about you and yours. I'm not very mechanically minded and are regretting my impulse buy of the CB500, if that could be adapted it would be amazing, that was my intention and if stood over it for many hours trying to work it out but it's way out of my capabilities I reckon. I don't know where to start or who to speak to about it but would be willing to pay for expertise like yours. Let alone riding but even the thought of getting dressed into your biking gear horrifies me, how do you manage? I don't know if you can send email addresses on here but would love to be in touch. All the best for now. Cheers, Jon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 00:11 am 

Hi John, have sent you a private message with my email address, drop me a line and I can help u. Your CB500 should be very easy to convert to left hand controls, I have had many Hondas, very straight forward. /look forward to hearing from you
John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 09:13 am 

Hi John, thanks again for your message. I'm afraid I don't have access to private messages yet. The following message appears when I attempt to open PM's,

We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.

I'll see if this works. It's all lower case with no spaces. The first bit is jon followed by williams and the number 40. The next bit is hotmail and ends with dot com. I'm sure that should go through.

Cheers, Jon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:00 pm 
Hurricane

You just need to post a few more times - I think you're nearly there but can't remember how many posts it has to be - there's a good reason for it, to prevent people signing up just to send spam messages.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 16:46 pm 
Major Windbag

Welcome!

I'm also a one-armed rider. Lost my left arm above elbow in a bike wreck in '07. My only read mod is an EFM Autoclutch & a Mert Lawwill riding prosthetic. Getting ready to ride today.

Here's mine...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 06:53 am 
Hurricane

Nice bike GL. In fact, I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 21:04 pm 
Minor Windbag

Hi Zeb welcome to the family,

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend and your horrible injuries, sounds like you were in a similar state to what I was and lucky to still be with us. I'm glad it didn't put you off bikes, I'm also riding with a right arm BPI, people say I'm crazy riding a 600 but in all honesty we probably are lol ;-)

Take care

Dave