Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 14:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 13:41 pm 

Hi all,

Firstly i'd like to introduce myself :D I'm Stuart and in 1999 i had an RTA where i lost the use of my right arm, i also had a young family so as priorities changed i decided to give up the biking for a while...... 14 years on and i'm ready to get back in the saddle.

I have read some great posts on this forum / site that has made the whole 'thing' of adapting a bike and starting where i left off a lot less intimidating than what i expected it to be.

So here is my game plan:

1/ sort my licence out with the DVLA....... although i'd been riding (125cc) for years, the accident happend shortly after taking my test (typical) and i'm not sure my now 'ex' wife ever sent off the pass certificate :banghead: I've emailed the DVLA as much info as possible and i'm just awaiting a reply.

2/ going to a series of visits at bolsover street to asses the best support to allow me to ride, (pushbike/motorbike) fish etc.....

3/ if item1 isn't a go then i will have to resit my test :( and that throws up the question about a bike.

4/ i have my heart set on a Harley (sportser) due to it suiting someone of short stature and being a machine to 'cruise' on not race :). Also my Dad is looking to spend some of his retirement back on a bike so what better than a father / son road trip on HD's.

My only real stopper is the adaptability of said HD, they seem to be constructed rather than built lol so i'm not sure if they lend themselves to change. If anyone out there can assure me otherwise i would be greatful.

Thanks again for a great source of info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 20:11 pm 
Hurricane

Welcome Bandit

I wish you success in getting back riding it is a fantastic feeling to succeed.

I don't know anything about HD Sportsters but a dozen "experts" will be along soon with two dozen different opinions :D

Good luck mate.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 08:36 am 

Thanks Tom and Hi :) ,

I know its early days yet but I'm feeling good about this decision. If it comes down to just taking another test then i will bite the bullet and do it. I've already primed our local CBT/riding school to ask if i could use their facilities until i feel confident in the bike / me combo and at that point he he come out on the road with me until i feel ready to go for it 8)

Stu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 09:01 am 
Hurricane

hi stu and welcome to the forum.

trike building companies such as trikeshop might be able to point you in the right direction. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 19:53 pm 

Hi dik,

Thanks for the heads up i will certainly give them a look see when the time comes.

Cheers,

Stu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 am 

Hi, pretty similar story to you

R/H BPI returned to riding with paralysed arm after 30 years (way to long).

Practice ,practice , practice for YOUR MOD 1

I passed a few years ago on a Honda CG125 , I NOW HAVE A SUZUKI SV650 . You should be able to do direct access at your age

Converting is pretty easy if you are handy, any engineer will be able to do it .

Give me a bell if you like

07968 470398