Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 14:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 13:35 pm 

.....it's killing me.

I lose the use of my right arm nearly two years ago and have been having a heart /head battle ever since about getting a bike adapted. I have a two year old daughter but since the accident I have separated from her Daddy and now I have every other weekend with no daughter and no bike.

I've still not decided what option I will go with, ie. trike or bike but I will be back on a bike soon as it's killing me not having a bike, I feel like a wee lost soul.

I know the adaptions seem relatively straightforward, but my question is, what is the advice given for balance / what to do with the right paralysed arm when riding?

Hope to hear from the experts / those in a similar situation soon.

Fran :)
x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 16:35 pm 
Hurricane

Fran I don't have any experience of right arm arm disability but I saw on FB you were leaning towards a trike, and I would just say that I've seen a number of folks with paralysed or missing arm riding bikes (not sure how the heck they push it about the when necessary) and even racing! I would just say that if you go for a trike, don't get one with a standard bike front end as they really need two arms to steer and can be hard work.

I have arthritis (and old age :? ) and had the front end of mine modified with extended yokes to make the steering lighter, and I can now push it in and out of the garage steering with only one hand. I had wider bars fitted as well but that probably wouldn't help you with balance.

Also I think you would definitely need a reverse gear of some sort.

As for what to do with your arm, some people have it inside their jacket or strapped to their body, others prefer to use velcro or similar to attach it to the bar, I guess to maintain a normal riding position.

Just my five eggs, there will be those who know a lot more than me!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 am 
Hurricane

hi fran and welcome to the forum.

trikes are cool - carry loads of stuff on a trike, even kids. get one. a trike that is . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 00:49 am 

Hi Fran

I have a paralysed right arm from a motorcycle accident 14 years ago, last year I decided that I wanted to get back on two wheels again so done some research. I went down the route of an 883L Sportster, got a local indie to do the mods (EFM Autoclutch, LH Throttle and LH Brake) I have been out on a few rides since getting it back in November but can honestly say I love every moment I'm on it.

The one thing in hindsight that I wish I'd done was keep my fingers supple as they have clawed over the years which makes my work around a little controversial. I basically use a grip aid to keep my right hand on the bar, I've tried riding with my right arm strapped up but didn't feel comfortable with it, the Harley is a heavy bike and it feels safer with two hands on the bars. It also make it loads more maneuverable when parking or moving at slow speeds.

I am looking into surgery to cut the tendons causing the clawing to enable me to wear a glove then i will velcro the glove to the handlebar, until that time I will continue to use the grip aid.

Please feel free to ask any questions about anything and I will do my best to answer them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 15:33 pm 

Belated hello to those that replied. And thank you for the time.

Just looked at the date I posted this - nearly a year ago :roll:

Trike is still on the agenda just been mega busy of late, not to mention having major surgery over Xmas time.

But here I am again, exploring options, heart firmly on a trike option and I'll take on board all the advice here extended yokes etc (thanks Bobbi)

1 Arm Bandit - did you get your Sportster triked or are you back on 2 wheels? How are you finding the steering? Regardless of whether 2 or 3 wheels.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 23:13 pm 

Hi Fran

I kept the Sportster 2 wheels, i had a splint made by the team at the RNOH at Stanmore to keep my arm straight then use a grip that velcro's my hand to the bar. Yes it may sound suicidal but it serves a purpose in that it keeps the pressure on the bars equal so steering and maneuvering is relatively easy. I have had a second refit of the bars as the mini apes wasn't that comfortable so i bought new bars / hydraulic brake unit and accessories to give it a retro feel :) i will post a picture to show you.

Stu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 23:51 pm 

as well as the new bars i fitted the forward controls and the EFM Auto clutch :D