Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 22:44 pm 

Hi there, I've scanned the previous topics and can't find a reply to my question, a question I'm sure you would've handled before, so apologies if I just can't find the response. I simply want to know if you could have a cruise control system fitted to my maxi scoot?. The machine is a Piaggio X8, similar to the X9. Due to a completely worn out right shoulder, I can't ride long distances, thought the cruise control, (on the right side), would let me rest it as I go. Note- I am down for a replacement, but found out shoulder replacements only last 7-10 years and it's difficult to get another replacement for the same shoulder after that, so it's more or less a 'one off'. Can anyone advise?. Thanks.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:51 am 
Hurricane

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question, which I can't, but I wondered if it might be possible to alter the bars so as to have a position that puts your shoulder under minimum stress?

And you might want to contact the NABD adaptions officer via the main website...

http://www.nabd.org.uk/contact/index.htm

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 14:06 pm 
Hurricane

There are lots of cruise control's on the market for motorcycles etc, and I can't see any reason for them not fitting a maxi.
But they aren't cheap. (Jusy search for 'motorcycle cruise control' in google or the like).

It would prob be cheaper to move the twist grip to the other side.......

As BG says, would it be better to investigate a more 'shoulder friendly' setup?

Vic

http://www.nabd.org.uk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 06:58 am 
Hurricane

The bars are covered by tupperware making it difficult to fit electronic cruise controls.

Have you tries a cramp buster?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crampbuster-CB2 ... B000GZPH2U

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 am 
Hurricane

I would recommend you try a thumb throttle from a quad.
You won't have to move your shoulder much at all then.
I recently fitted one to a friend's GTS 300 as he had his right wrist fused, same as I have, and would have had to stop riding as a twist throttle becomes dangerous when you you can't twist it properly.
He loves it now, the only other thing he had to fit was adjustable levers as he couldn't reach the brake levers as good when the thumb throttle was fitted, the adjustable levers let him set them where they need to be.
I had to trim the headset plastics a little to let the thumb throttle fit under, make a small handlebar extension under the right hand grip, make a handlebar extension for the left side so both sides of the bars were the same length, it came out just under 1 1/2 inches wider each side which worked well as he always felt the standard bars were too narrow, they are a more comfortable width for him now.
I modified the standard throttle cable to fit the thumb throttle so spares are easy to come by.
I fitted foam grips which help asborb vibrations and pothole shocks and heavy bar end weights.
From a distance it looks standard, you have to really look to notice it's not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:23 pm 

Thank you all for that advice, noted and taken on board. It's my shoulder that is completely worn out due to soddin arthritis and I recently found out that to have the shoulder replaced, with the type I need, they only last 7 - 10 years and then that's it, no more replacements after that. That would mean my motorcycling days wud be over at 62 years of age. No way. So, I'm now going to cancel the op, due in the spring, and get a couple more years out of it. So, it's holding the shoulder in the throttle position for so long that causes the pain. No increase in meds help, a shoulder brace is no good and I'm not sure the thumb device would therefore help too, though I do use the thumb 'throttle aid' plastic clip. Anyway, thank you so much again, I will review those options and I'm off to have a look at the Cramp buster right now. Cheers all, good Christmas to you and your families.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:56 am 
Hurricane

Good luck, I had an arthroscopy on my shoulder so have an inkling of the problems you have, not bad enough for a replacement but enough to stop me riding (with other RA problems too) but I managed until a few years ago, 67 now.

I used to have a tank bag permanently strapped to the pillion as a back rest and found that helped. You can get rider back rests depending on the bike you have, alternatively get one made up for you.

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:32 am 
Hurricane

Delboy wrote:
67 now.

Holy cr4p. Where has the time gone?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 23:55 pm 
Hurricane

No idea Dik, it's all in the mind (And feet,knees, hands..... :lol: )

Research for the NABD

FuocoRider.co.uk