Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hyosung GT 650
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 20:40 pm 
Hurricane

I got me a new to me GT 650 last weekend.
|Fitted new bars and a thumb throttle today.
These are from the ebay auction as before pics:
New bars going on: original
Black ally renthal style bars, lower, wider, flatter and lighter than the stock steel ones:
I couldn't fit everything on the right hand side of the bars so I used a mirror clamp, some ally angle and made a new ally boss to hold the switch as close to it's original position as possible. I think it looks OK, it might need some fine tuning on the road but it's getting there.
I have been off the road for 6 1/2 years and it's getting to me. This came up at too good a price to miss so I went for it. Got new tyres on the way then it's MOT time.
It's a 2010 Hyosung GT 650, basically a fuel injection SV 650 motor in a steel trellis frame. Low miles I'm only the 3rd owner. They retail at £2000 to £3000 for the year. I got it for £730! Well chuffed!

Post subject: Re: Hyosung GT 650
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 20:42 pm 
Hurricane

That's the ally boss I made to carry the switch, the wide end stops the switch coming off and covers the hole left when you remove the throttle tube, makes it look tidy.
From the front showing the mirror clamp and angle bracket better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 20:19 pm 
Hurricane

I saw one of these when I was marshalling on the National Road Rally a few years ago - bloke had borrowed it from a dealer for the rally - had nothing but praise for it!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 21:09 pm 
Hurricane

I managed to use the standard throttle cable. I cut the nipple off and removed the 90 degree adjuster from the cable. I fitted a ferrule to the outer and made an ally joiner to let me add a short piece of outer to reach the throttle. I made an adjuster to fit in the throttle unit and fitted a new nipple. Throttle works perfect.
I managed to get the push cable off without having to strip half the bike down which was a bonus.
The throttle linkage has a good enough return spring on it I didn't need to add more springs to compensate for losing the push cable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 21:24 pm 
Hurricane

While I had the rear wheel out to fit the new tyre I tidied up the tatty chain adjusters and fitted new stainless adjuster bolts.
While changing the front tyre I cleaned up the spacer and spindle nut.
Fitted the new end can, it's smaller, lighter, better looking and sounds like a V twin should now.
I fitted the adjustable rearset plates from the GTR fully faired model to let me fit the pegs in a more comfy position.
I had to make a new gear rod as the original was too short.
I made new bungy pins as one was missing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 06:28 am 
Hurricane

WOW, nice work. I really admire folk who can do this sort of stuff. X and Y was missing so I made them - stuff of dreams. Well done.

And not a drop of my favourite stuff, No Nails, to be seen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 22:10 pm 
Hurricane

Thanks Dik. Going to keep this one standard, just change rusty fixings for stainless and making the odd improvement like the end can. Been off the road 6 1/2 years having health issues and tis doing my nut. I spend so much time making stuff for other people I never get round to my own. I don't have anything I can get on the road quick, all of mine are projects in varying stages. This came along at the right price and didn't need anything major doing so I went for it. I took all my other bikes off the road when I started having my shoulder rebuilt. I stripped most down to do up so I didn't have any temptation to ride cos I knew I shouldn't. I have been able to ride for the last year or so but been off work with other health issues, been having a bad couple of years, so not had any spare coin to put one on the road. Now I am starting to get back on my feet I decided it was time to make it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 01:11 am 
Hurricane

Great, hope it goes well - I had to make the decision to move on from the trike but now I have a campervan and being back on the road has given me such a boost! (even though it'll never be the same as a bike).

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 14:37 pm 
Hurricane

BikerGran wrote:
now I have a campervan

YAY Campervans are cool to. :cloud9:

Glad to hear things are getting better for you AdeN, hope that shoulder holds out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 19:28 pm 
Hurricane

Things are looking up. I had an induction day come interview at Weymouth college today. I got the job! It's only for 6 weeks relief teaching as they have 3 staff members off sick. It's 24 hours but pays more than my last 40 a week job! First proper job for over 3 1/2 years. I wasn't looking for anything but an agency called me out the blue and it was too good to refuse. Gonna be a good xmas this year!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am 
Hurricane

Great news, hope it leads to more work for you

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 13:31 pm 
Hurricane

AdeN wrote:
Things are looking up. I had an induction day come interview at Weymouth college today. I got the job! It's only for 6 weeks relief teaching as they have 3 staff members off sick. It's 24 hours but pays more than my last 40 a week job! First proper job for over 3 1/2 years. I wasn't looking for anything but an agency called me out the blue and it was too good to refuse. Gonna be a good xmas this year!

Excellent! Well done.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 22:08 pm 
Hurricane

I sorted out the Insurance, MOT and tax today so after nearly 7 years off I am back on 2 wheels!
Rides great, only ridden to the MOT and back so far but pulls nice.
I cut the ugly rear mudguard thing off, made a new number plate bracket and fitted new mini indicators tucked well away, they are much better thane the ugly Shrek ears originals.
I found a few wiring gremlins/previous bodges that I have put right.
There was a spiders nest in the air box and the plugs were dead so put in new plugs and a K&N air filter to help with the new end can so fuelling is better.
There was more spider poo visible than paper in the original air filter! No wonder it felt choked up.
Oil and oil filter are next on the list, then i'll look at the chain and sprockets, the sprockets look OK but it was stood for almost two years so the chain isn't great. I may just throw a new chain on for now.
I have a spare swing arm to send to powder coat, that will be a warm weekend's job to change over.
When the brakes need servicing I'll make new braided hoses and fit stainless fittings to the calipers.
Be nice to get out for a blat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 05:28 am 
Hurricane

Much nicer rear end.

Were the spiders from Mars?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 07:39 am 
Hurricane

dik wrote:
Much nicer rear end.

Were the spiders from Mars?

I don't know, there were only dead ones left. I'm arachnophobic and nearly had a movement when I took the lid off the air box! What was left of the dead ones was big enough, I'm glad I didn't find a live one! I may have had to burn the bike and house down to kill them!