Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 09:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:13 pm 
Minor Windbag

Hi guys and gals, firstly I'm pleased to finally be registered and a member of NABD (Or at least I should be very soon as all the paperwork and cheque have been posted)

I'm trying to swap my bike for a trike but if that doesn't happen soon I'll go ahead with the conversion on the bike.
I've got the throttle half figured out as it's a push-pull so with a bit of modification to the cables I should be able to reverse them, I hope I can as I don't fancy doing it at the carbs.
The fact the housing only twists one way confuses me, I can't quite work out how to get it to twist the right way?

My main choice I need to make is thumb brake or twin lever? I'll need longer bars for a thumb brake as they're too short already with just the throttle housing over there on the left, what would you all suggest is easiest to operate a motorcycle with, thumb brake or twin lever?
Even if I get a trike I'll need to do the same to that so any info or advice you can offer would be great.

It's a Yamaha FZS Fazer 600 that I bought, I can get both feet flat on the floor and feel confident with it's size to a certain extent but I'm starting to lean towards a trike, any decent sized bike will be heavy like this Fazer is which is why I'm trying to swap, I've got visions of me pulling into a downhill parking space and not being able to pull it back out lol Probably just pre riding nerves because it's been so long but we'll see, I'll get there one way or another :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:15 pm 
Minor Windbag

Sorry that seems to have double posted for some reason..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 07:17 am 
Hurricane

Hi and welcome to the Nabd, Lots of advice to be had on here, sometimes it is a bit quiet and answers might be a bit slow coming but come they will.
As far as the braking goes on a trike it is possible to link all the brakes to the foot lever so on pedal does all, not to sure about the twist grip going on the left bar but it has been done more than a couple of times and some-one that has done it will be along soon to let you know how to do it.

Stix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 05:41 am 
Hurricane

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I hope some of the other 'armies' will be along to help with the conversion side of things soon. But I can say that you do learn to park appropriately with a trike. So if a hill is where you want to be, swing it around and face uphill. You will soon pick up the tricks - and be bullish with parking. Also, most folk are happy to help is you did need a wee nudge out, or pull back.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 09:13 am 
Hurricane

You can get thumb brakes that fit on the fork leg, or bars, so if you don't have enough room on the bars look for a fork mounted one.
Most push/pull throttles have set fittings on the throttle unit so only the right cable fits in it's relative spot.
I doubt you will be able to just swap the cables round at the throttle, it won't be hard to swap them at the carbs.
You are more likely to find the carb ends have identical fittings than the throttle unit end.
If it's an aftermarket push/pull throttle then they may have the same cables so swapping them round is easy.
Have you got any pics of your throttle?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 18:56 pm 
Minor Windbag

I didn't take any pictures but where the 2 cables go in to the housing they're in a bent A configuration in a plastic "frame" so just swapping them round won't work unfortunately without some heavy modification so I'll have a look and see how easy it is to get to the carbs, still got the problem of it twisting the wrong way tho.... There must be a way.... (I'm saying this a lot lately lol)

I've been looking at the K-Lever, can anyone explain to me how they're arranged? If it's on the left bar with hydro brake and cable clutch which one would be the top lever? I've read through the adaptions pages which are great but they don't explain much other than what it is and what disability they're for so I'm searching the forum now to get ideas.

The more I look at the Fazer the more I want to keep it so I'm going to give it 2 weeks and if it doesn't sell I'll go ahead with the original conversion plan so I need to decide whether to go with a thumb brake of some type or the K-Lever, From experience which option would you recommend? I know it's down to personal choice but I'm guessing one will be easier to use that the other?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I haven't had a bike since 2006 and never dealt with adaptions so it's all a bit new and daunting at the moment but I'm determined to get there :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 23:37 pm 
Gale Force

I have the K-lever on both of my bikes, top lever being the front brake seeing as how the back brake is rarely needed. I have the top lever adjusted so it's slightly forward of the bottom lever so that I only pull the back brake when I intentionally need it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 09:09 am 
Major Windbag

I suffered a right brachial plexus and weak/unreliable right knee 4 years ago and have fitted a K Lever and lengthened the 'bars of my 1954 Matchless by 2" to accommodate all the controls.
Front cable brake at top. Clutch under. Decompressor lever (necessary for kick starting). Horn. Dipswitch. Ignition advance/retard.

On my Honda I have another but didn't need to lengthen the 'bars

I have a vertical lever on the r/h standard twist-grips on both bikes to which I Velcro my glove and operate them by shrugging my shoulder. Takes a bit of practice and initially several (many) fallings-off when manoeuvring or going slow or stopping. Out on t' road it's a doddle.

Re. Parking. It's not possible for anyone to park either of my bikes facing downhill as a). I can't pull it back 'uphill' to put it on the centre stand, and b). if I put the sidestand down the bike just rolls forward and the stand kicks up. I just park on the flat or facing uphill. (Even riding up onto the pavement and threading through café tables in Spain :wink:)

I ride a lot in U.K. and attend runs and rallies with my bike club and last June rode the Honda to Spain and several trips in France.
Oh, and I was 70 last month.
I'm not disabled, I just do things differently.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 17:57 pm 
Minor Windbag

Thanks for all your replies,

I decided I'm gonna keep the bike, she's beautiful and doesn't seem as big as it did last week lol

I did a bit of work on the throttle today with a little help from my brother, I now have a working left hand throttle that twists the right way.

I should have taken some photo's but it's gotta all be moved about when I fit the K-Level (I decided that would be the easiest route) so I'll take photo's then but basically we modified the plastic cable guides so that they could be reversed and had to grind some little lugs inside the housing for it to twist the right way, apart from drilling a hole for the nobble that stops it twisting on the bar, it's done :-)

I screwed up my grant application by filling it in wrong so that's a little set back but I'm getting closer :-)

Can anyone tell me how long the grants process takes and how we get the K-Lever after if all goes well?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your inputs :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:37 pm 
Major Windbag

Good on yer, Dave.
I didn't apply for grants as I received personal injury compensation from the lorry driver's insurance (he was on my side of the road on a bend in a narrow lane and cleaned me out on my Matchless). I got my K-Levers direct from Keith at..

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

Absolutely brilliant firm to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 22:44 pm 
Gale Force

Same here, managed to get the money together myself, (for both bikes), and so I got them direct from Kliktronic. £750 a time for the K-lever2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 16:42 pm 
Minor Windbag

Unfortunately my crash was totally my own fault (I was an idiot when I was younger) so I didn't get any compo from mine which sucks as I've heard of £3 million settlements for brachial plexus injuries altho I don't know how accurate that is...
Even a few thousand would have helped loads but as it was my own fault I got nothing except my injuries lol.
It made the injury its self easier to deal with because I caused it, if someone else had done this to me I would have had trouble dealing with it and imagine I'd feel a lot differently about the situation.

I've e-mailed the adaptions dept to ask if I need a new form, if I do I'll wait until I've got that, but if I can use this form I'll get it posted and get things in motion, it's just the K-Lever I need now..

I didn't think I could ever look forward to something this much, The day I ride again will be the best day of my life without a doubt, my bikes were the only thing that made me truly happy so I'm extremely grateful of NABD being there to help people like us. Before I was told about NABD I was 100% sure I'd never ride again and had given up all hope of it until my friends dad told me about them which changed my outlook totally, a couple of years on and I'm a member, I've got my license back, I've got a bike and well on the way to being on the road, happy times :-)

A few of my friends say I'm crazy or stupid for buying another bike after what happened last time but once you've got bikes in your blood you'll never get them out as I'm sure you'll understand, I haven't got a partner or kids to worry about so while I can I certainly will :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 06:29 am 
Hurricane

Dave1980 wrote:
Unfortunately my crash was totally my own fault (I was an idiot when I was younger)

Same here fella, £500 'compo' and that was for the bike!

But as you point out, life goes on and often where there is a will, there is a way. It sounds like that you will be riding again pretty soon. Well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 15:48 pm 
Minor Windbag

Does anyone know what the K-Lever comes with? If possible I'd like to buy everything else I need while the grant application gets considered so I'm ready to go.

Looking at peoples adaptions the brake fluid reservoirs are different so I'm guessing they don't come with it so will need to buy one of them and the fixings to attach it, are the reservoirs quite universal or does it need a certain type/size?

I'd imagine the clutch will be a standard cable fitting so I'm not too worried about that, it's the brake I'm not too sure about, I'd imagine it's a standard fitting that my existing brake line will attach straight onto or do they need adapting?
It's probably a lot more simple than I'm expecting but handy to know in advance so I can get any parts I need..

Sorry for all the questions, your help is very much appreciated :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 19:31 pm 
Gale Force

My K-lever was for front & back brake, the reservoirs came with it, as did the mounting brackets. I did however need to get a new hose made up for the rear brake only as the original one was a little short as it previously only needed to reach the foot lever :)