Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fused left ankle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 22:48 pm 

Hi everyone, im new here so please be gentle with me lol.
Im after some guidance regarding gear selection. I used to ride moto x when I was younger, but aint been on a bike for years. The wife thinks im going through a mid life crisis, as I want a bike again. The problem I have is my left ankle has been fused, I used to manage changing gear on the moto x by changing up with my heel. Im now looking to get a street fighter style bike, as this is the look I like in a bike. Basically what options do I have to mod the gear selection. Iv heard about electronic systems, but don't really fancy large solenoids bolted to the side of the bike. Id be happy to go down the road of electronic systems, if the solenoids are discrete to keep in with the minimalistic look of the bike. So other than that what other options do i have. I hope someone can point me in the right direction as I really cant wait to get back on a bike.

Thanks in advance Baz.

Post subject: Re: Fused left ankle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 04:45 am 
Hurricane

Hi Baz and welcome to the forum.

I am no engineer but I recall seeing in the past a gear change that looked like a see-saw. It may have been on a big old Amercian cruiser but I wonder if you could get something more suitable for the bike you mention?

The electronic changers are pretty neat these days, check out Kliktronic. Expensive, maybe, but they are very good.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 09:57 am 

[quote="dik"]Hi Baz and welcome to the forum.

I am no engineer but I recall seeing in the past a gear change that looked like a see-saw. It may have been on a big old Amercian cruiser but I wonder if you could get something more suitable for the bike you mention?

The step through gear selector wont be any good for me, as I would need to lift my foot off the foot rest to shift down or up, due to no movement in the ankle joint. I think this action could be dangerous at motorway speeds, especially with the seating position being the same as a sports bike.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 15:47 pm 

Hi Baz,

I can confirm with a previous post that the Klictronic gear shifter is a great option.

Recently returned to biking and have bought a Triumph America. I have left foot and ankle problems and my ankle also has minimal movement. The guys at Klictronic fitted a gear shifter for me and it works a treat! They are not as obtrusive as you might think.

As for the 'mid-life crisis', it's nothing to do with age, but the fact that biking gets in your blood and once it gets there it never leaves! Lol

Enjoy! x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 18:36 pm 

debbiejones wrote:
Hi Baz,

I can confirm with a previous post that the Klictronic gear shifter is a great option.

Recently returned to biking and have bought a Triumph America. I have left foot and ankle problems and my ankle also has minimal movement. The guys at Klictronic fitted a gear shifter for me and it works a treat! They are not as obtrusive as you might think.

As for the 'mid-life crisis', it's nothing to do with age, but the fact that biking gets in your blood and once it gets there it never leaves! Lol

Enjoy! x

Looks like the Klictronic is my only option then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 22:22 pm 
Hurricane

Do a search for threads by AdeN as he has developed a scooter style hand gear change to use on bikes.

Stix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:05 pm 

stix wrote:
Do a search for threads by AdeN as he has developed a scooter style hand gear change to use on bikes.

Stix

Thanks, that's very interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 19:22 pm 
Hurricane

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5693

This is what you might need.

Stix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 20:22 pm 
Hurricane

A hand gearchange would work for you.
I have some push/pull throttle units that I make new twist grips and pulleys for for bike engined scooters.
You can use a bike throttle as a gearchange on a bike engine because the bike has a gear lever that stays in the same position after you change gear, you just need to click it up, or down once each time.
My scooter ones use larger gear pulleys as the gearbox doesn't return to a set position, you click into a gear and the gearchange stays at that position for each gear.
Some scooter hand gearchangers need you to be as flexible as a gymnast to get third and fourth gears.
I use larger pulleys to need less leverage to select each gear.
I make longer twistgrips so you can fit a clutch lever, grip and switch gear on in one unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 14:31 pm 
Gale Force

The kliktronic doesn't look too bad and when your riding it cant even be seen for your leg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 08:56 am 

AdeN wrote:
A hand gearchange would work for you.
I have some push/pull throttle units that I make new twist grips and pulleys for for bike engined scooters.
You can use a bike throttle as a gearchange on a bike engine because the bike has a gear lever that stays in the same position after you change gear, you just need to click it up, or down once each time.
My scooter ones use larger gear pulleys as the gearbox doesn't return to a set position, you click into a gear and the gearchange stays at that position for each gear.
Some scooter hand gearchangers need you to be as flexible as a gymnast to get third and fourth gears.
I use larger pulleys to need less leverage to select each gear.
I make longer twistgrips so you can fit a clutch lever, grip and switch gear on in one unit.

Hi AdeN,
I hope you or anyone can help. I wanted to be able to change gear using my right hand, I was thinking of something like the small thumb operated gear changes you get on mountain bikes, with the cable 'simply' connected to the gear lever. It only needs to be able to change up as I can change down gear OK with my left foot as usual.
Does anyone know where I could get something like this fitted to my CRF250L?
I live in Gloucester, so ideally not too far from there, but if it means a 200 mile trip to get it done then I will.
Thanks
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 09:12 am 
Hurricane

Hi AdeN,
I hope you or anyone can help. I wanted to be able to change gear using my right hand, I was thinking of something like the small thumb operated gear changes you get on mountain bikes, with the cable 'simply' connected to the gear lever. It only needs to be able to change up as I can change down gear OK with my left foot as usual.
Does anyone know where I could get something like this fitted to my CRF250L?
I live in Gloucester, so ideally not too far from there, but if it means a 200 mile trip to get it done then I will.
Thanks
Pete

Hi Pete, You could look at a thumb throttle from a quad and use that with a cable to the gear lever, that would give you a thumb paddle to change up and changing down with the foot will work. Or a choke lever from a classic bike, the kind that looks like an old lawn mower throttle lever.
For the cable connection on the brake lever you might need to make something to fit around the engine cases, or it might be as simple as drilling the lever and using a bolt with a hole drilled in it. Personally I would look at a stainless steel eye fitting from a boat chandler that crimps onto a cablehen use a bolt with a short shank as a fixed pivot on the lever.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-608FR-7-8- ... 3f4cdb3c32
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Thumb-T ... 25ad799141
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AISI-316-Mari ... 25ad94c73f
That gives you some idea, I use those thumb throttles on all my bikes. The crimp on eye was the first one I found you'll need to check what size you want, ideally you would want one for whatever size cable you use with a 6mm eye hole, 2.5mm or 3mm cable would last longer. Then you can use a 6mm bolt on the lever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 09:16 am 
Hurricane

My mate has his workshop in Stroud, Slick Scooter Services, he works on all sorts of vehicles, not just scooters. I can ask him if he can fit you in.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Slick-Scoot ... /timeline/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 08:57 am 

[quote="AdeN"]My mate has his workshop in Stroud, Slick Scooter Services, he works on all sorts of vehicles, not just scooters. I can ask him if he can fit you in.

Hi AdeN,
Thanks for this, very helpful. Yes that would be great if you could ask him if he would be happy to do this work and also what date I would need to bring the bike in and how long he would have it for. Plus a rough idea of cost would be good.
Or would you prefer I contact them direct and say you sent me?
Thanks again
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 13:47 pm 
Hurricane

He's on holiday for a couple of weeks, I'll have a chat when he gets back and let you know.