Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:44 pm 

Hi all.

I'm new here but hope to become a regular.

Back in September I was knocked off my bike and my left knee was severely injured. I can't ride anymore for a few reasons, which i'm hoping I can get some help with.

Firstly, I have PTSD because of the incident and I'm extremely anxious about getting on the bike again. I'm having trouble sleeping as any time I have a quiet moment I'm back at the incident falling from my bike and in agonising pain. This will play like a looped tape until I occupy my mind with something else. Has anyone else had this? what therapy was offered?

Second reason is that I simply can't get my leg over the bike. My knee isn't stable enough to take the weight and i've got a problem with motility in my left hip now too. I'm thinking I may need to switch the side stand to the right hand side. Has anyone done this? know of any places that can make this modification?

Third reason is related to the second in that I can't support the weight of the bike when stationary on my left leg so I need to know if anyone has made a modification to the rear brake location which would allow me to put my right foot down while braking at junctions and doing hill starts?

Thanks in advance. Any help gratefully received.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 16:07 pm 
Hurricane

Hello Kayman and welcome.

I don't think I can help you with much apart from the last question. On my trike I had all my brakes done via the handle bars. There are at least a couple of solutions, but essentially you would have two leavers each serving a wheel.

Sorry I can help you with the other issues.

Dik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 22:18 pm 
Hurricane

I had a stupid less than 1mph crash which rendered my left leg a bit secondhand (when it was finally healed after 2 years) and unable to support the weight of the bike - my solution was to add an extra wheel and turn it into a trike! I know, it's not the same, but triking has its own kind of mad moments believe me!

Mind you, last September isn't very long ago - are you getting physio or still doing exercises? Could be a lot of healing to happen yet but it won't happen on its own, if you're not getting physio got to the doc and ask, or better still if you can affoird it, go to a good sports physio!

As for the 'replay' thing, I had that after my first off, knocked off my little 100cc stroker on a roundabout 18 months after I started riding, had terrible flashbacks, I found the only way to deal with it was to get back on the bike and get out there. It took about 6 weeks of riding before I stopped flinching every time I saw a vehicle approaching a junction on the right, and more strangely, I kept trying to go round bends upright although that was nothing to do with the accident. Therapy? you are joking, right? GP told me I'd get over it - well he was right I spose.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 23:29 pm 

Cheers guys.

I was stationary at a roundabout and the car hit me from behind. My left foot was on the ground supporting the weight of the bike and my knee must have been locked. When the car hit, my knee must have hyperextended which led to two broken bones (the minor injuries) a complete tear to the anterior cruciate ligament, a partial tear of the posterior cruciate ligament, a complex tear to the lateral meniscus and some major bone oedema.

Yes I'm getting physio. Have been for quite a while. Fair dues to the NHS on this occasion they've come through really well. I need to have surgery soon too. Thing is though that the pain is building rather than getting less. The leg is strong overall and is quite mobile but when I put any pressure through the knee it just gives way.

I understand it is early days but I'm really frustrated at how slow the process is. All I want to do is get back on the horse but I don't know how to overcome these things in my way. I've been toying with the idea of a thumb lever for the back brake that works along side the foot pedal (so I could use the back brake as usual while riding and the thumb lever on hill starts), but that might take some practice. Any ideas on how this might work??

I'm not scared to get back on the bike. Just losing sleep over the accident. It's like something huge that plays over in your mind at the end of the day, except this is 5 months later. Maybe it will fade once I can ride again.

As for the trike idea, I've never actually passed the test so I'd be a bit underpowered. Not even sure if I can ride a 15hp trike on a cbt lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 23:58 pm 
Hurricane

Yeah what I meant was that if you were able to get back on the bike it would probably help you to get over the flashback thing - I was off the road for about 6 nweeks and didn't start getting over it till I was back on the bike.

So what's the surgery you're expecting? hopefully it will help! Sounds a bit like you're going to have to be patient - I know it's difficult!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 00:16 am 

Unfortunately the surgery isn't to fix anything. It's to tidy up the cartilage and remove any debris in the joint. Not sure why they aren't going to try and fix the acl but they must know what they're doing. If it means I can use my knee properly or at least allows me to put the work in to get it working as it should then I'll be happy.

The whole insurance side of things is extremely slow as well. The car driver accepted liability from the start so I'm hoping it doesn't take too much longer to settle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 08:29 am 
Hurricane

Insurance always takes a while where injury is concerned as they need to see what long lasting problems there are, it works out in the end

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 15:11 pm 

I've been looking at those Klickttinic levers. They would be my answer I think. Does nyone know if a finger operated lever could be used in conjunction with the foot pedal? Ideally I'd like to use the foot pedal while riding as per usual but as I'll be putting my right leg down instead of my left I'd be using the finger lever on hills and at junctions. Would there be any issues?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 22:58 pm 
Gale Force

You wouldn't need to use the foot brake if you had the rear brake up on the bars, you rarely use the back brake when riding anyway. I have the Kliktronic Klever2 on both my bikes.
I broke my back in a biking accident some 13yrs ago and before leaving hospital, as part of the rehab, they took you out in an adapted car. That was what got me back onto the road again, still had flash backs to the accident for a few years but it never stopped me driving on the roads again. Took me 8yrs to find a way back onto a bike again and currently have two, one having a sidecar attached as i didn't want to go down the trike route.

Sorting out the bike is easy enough, as for the flash backs, it just takes time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 19:50 pm 
Hurricane

If you were to consider something along the lines of a Piaggio MP3 or Gilera Fuoco they are those 3 wheelers with tilting front wheels so you lean it as a bike. The brakes are on the handlebars and they have a wheel locking system for junctions etc that means you don't have to put your feet down. A friend has the Gilera Fuoco and it'll do nearly 90 mph regardless of how much weight it's pulling. I was nearly 18stone and my mate makes me look small so it must have had nearly 45stone of us two on it and it upset some bikes in Newquay with it's acceleration.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 am 

I can put my right foot down so I can already adapt in that sense.

I want to be able to keep the foot brake and just add a finger brake for junction work.

I'm still on a CBT so I'm not sure about the fuocco unless it comes in a 125 flavour

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 20:09 pm 
Hurricane

The Piaggio MP3 comes in 125cc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 20:10 pm 
Hurricane

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-revi ... -125/2011/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 07:36 am 
Hurricane

The 125 is seriously underpowered as a tourer, even a commute would be difficult in a head wind or even long hills. On the other hand the Fuoco is what I used when I rode around the coast of the UK and is a very capable machine and a real hoot.

If I remember correctly the LT versions can be ridden as a trike otherwise a bike licence is needed.

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:43 pm 
Hurricane

Yes the LT can be used as a trike on a car licence but it has a rear footbrake so not the best option for Kayman.