Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 16:09 pm 

Hi, I have just joined the site, thought I'd pass on some info.

I'm a T4 complete and had a desire to race a motorbike. I originally went to Castle Combe on an adapted GSX-R1000 and discovered that riding wasn't as hard as I'd thought. Since then I have done over 15 track days and Levels 1 and 2 of the California Superbike School.

Last Friday I went to Darley Moor and was assessed by the ACU for my race licence. All went well and they have agreed to issue me with my race licence once I have my stabilisers slightly modified from the current design. I will be racing an SV650 in the Minitwin series. My first race will hopefully be at Castle Combe on 4th September, as it's my local track and won't scare me too much!!

I am happy to chat about what I've done and how I went about it to anyone. I am adapting a GSX-R600SRAD so that paraplysed/amputee bikers can come to Castle Combe, have an experience and learn what adaptions they need. It really is a lot easier than you think and the support from the other riders is brilliant.

In addition to bikes, I have been skiing (recently representing GB at the Winter Paralympics), sail a Dart 18, developed a frame for surfing (laying down) and try to do as many sports as possible.

Hope to hear or see you soon. I'm in Bath, so happy to chuck the kettle on if you're passing.

Kind regards

Talan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 21:43 pm 
Hurricane

Very impressive, would love to come see you race and have a look over your stabilisers. I too am a paraplegic and ride with a sidecar and also have a trike. I would love to ride solo again but lack of funds is the problem.

The ACU licence has been done before but not for a solo (as far as i know?) but for a sidecar outfit, check out www.douglasracing.co.uk

Good luck in your first race

Rhodgie

I am Immortal - so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 21:23 pm 

Rhodgie wrote:
Very impressive, would love to come see you race and have a look over your stabilisers. I too am a paraplegic and ride with a sidecar and also have a trike. I would love to ride solo again but lack of funds is the problem.

The ACU licence has been done before but not for a solo (as far as i know?) but for a sidecar outfit, check out www.douglasracing.co.uk

Good luck in your first race

Rhodgie

Hi Rhodgie

You're right, the ACU have said that this will be the first time they have issued a solo licence to a paraplegic, as Kerr Douglas already has one for side-cars. Am getting the stabilisers sorted out at the moment, as well as repairing the bike after I low-sided going into Quarry corner at Castle Combe. At least I came off the bike and was attached to it by the velcro when I fell.

Next outing is 19th July at Snetteron on the GSXR, so looking forward to that.

Talan

Post subject: Track days and progress
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 09:22 am 

Talan, are you still riding solo on tracks ? if so how are things going

E4fed

Me - T5/T6 complete due making contact with an earth mound at the end of Norwich Straight at Snetterton in 1981! Not ridden since, but am seriously tempted