Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:09 pm 

Hey guys,

My dad was always an outdoor enthusiast, and since his T12 spinal injury, he was always still out and about on his wheelchair. But in recent years he no longer has the same strength to push his manual wheelchair long distances, and he really struggles to transfer into and out of a big powered wheelchair.

He recently purchased a Team Hybrid Viper powered handcycle. We thought this would be the ideal solution as it would mean that dad wouldn't have to transfer, but as it turned out the docking system was actually quite awkward compared to something like the Rio Firefly.

We live at the base of a mountain that has a road going all the way to the summit, and my dad used to go for daily long walks to the top. He has really missed that since his injury and he thought the viper would change things but unfortunately the performance was underwhelming as it struggled with steep roads.

Then a few days ago I stumbled across the Nippi trike, and it is certainly something my father would be interested in. He does not care much about speed, but needs something capable of handling steep roads.

But the problem is that my father hasn't driven since he has been in a wheelchair and his licence expired in 2006. I am really worried that it will be a difficult process to renew his licence now that he is disabled and on regular medication. He would not really be interested in having to do driving tests as he is dyslexic and struggles to read and write.

And another area is finance, he already has a car through motability with myself as the named driver to take him to the clinic and hospital appointments so we would need to keep this car. Are there any other financial options? I wish I had known about the Nippi before we bought the Viper handcycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 07:27 am 
Hurricane

hello and welcome

i dont have the answers for you, but i can wish you best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 14:47 pm 

dik wrote:
hello and welcome

Thanks for the welcome.

Does anybody know if Nippi Vehicles give you the option to purchase a Nippi trike via Hire Purchase or some type of method of paying in instalments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 19:05 pm 

KJK1LL3R wrote:
dik wrote:
hello and welcome

Thanks for the welcome.

Does anybody know if Nippi Vehicles give you the option to purchase a Nippi trike via Hire Purchase or some type of method of paying in instalments?

Can anyone even tell me the price range of a Nippi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 02:03 am 
Hurricane

Sorry can't help much cause know little about the nippi but you could try....

http://www.nippi.co.uk/

I've also seen used models for sale on here and on fleabay.

Good luck and welcome :-)

I am Immortal - so far!