Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 16:39 pm 
Major Windbag

Hi All

I've been reading up on light wheelchairs and see most of the posts are from people who want a light weight wheelchair because, understandable, they need to handle it themselves. But I'm looking for my son (16yrs old and 80Kgs), so it'll have to be adult size. But I'm more interested in how small it folds down because I'll want to mount it onto the back of the sidecar I'm building him.

So any advice on the best collapsible wheelchairs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew & Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 07:07 am 
Hurricane

Not an easy one to answer because we will not know the full requirements for the chair. Nor do we know your budget.

Price, sadly, is an indicator of quality when it comes to wheelchairs and if you have the pockets, then the high end quickies should be checked out.

The Quickie Neon, Xenon and Helium folding chairs are all very light and highly adaptable. But don't expect much change out of £2k. For slightly more than that check out the Revolution - quite a unique folding wheelchair that may just fit the bill. I love my Quickies!!

You can see all the above and more at EPC Wheelchairs. Peter Norfolk (The Quadfather!) runs this place. He was the flag bearer for Paralympic GB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 16:58 pm 
Major Windbag

2K :shock:
I'm just about getting by doing the bike, never mind anything else.
I don't have that type of money.... wife... 2 kids... say no more LOL!!!

I'll make do with what I have (and keep an eye on eblag)

But thanks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 07:18 am 
Hurricane

How old is Dylan?

What about wheelchair services? Or do you already have a chair from them? You might qualify for a the voucher scheme - I hope someone in England can take up the slack on this!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 13:50 pm 
Hurricane

No idea on wheelchairs as fortunately I don't need one at present but don't forget you can also hand a folded chair on either the inside or outside, not just the back of a sidecar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 13:06 pm 
Major Windbag

Dik:- Dylan is 16 years old. And yes, he already has a wheelchair from our local services. He's actually just had another fitting by the wheelchair services because he getting bigger by the day LOL! I'll ask them and see what they have available, or if they have any ideas where I might be able to get one. Thanks

Nabsim:- At first I had ideas to hang it between the chair and bike, but it'll be a VERY tight squeeze! My only other option is to put it 'on' the sidecar, behind Dylan. If I can just get a slightly smaller chair that he'll still fit into, it would be ideal. But I'm on the final approach to getting things completed, so I'm not letting it stop the progress of the sidecar. I'll keep on looking.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 15:03 pm 
Hurricane

Not sure how you are intending adapting the body but saw in another post it is a Squire chair/chasis that is the base. Most Squires have the wheel and mudgaurd outside of the body, if that is still the case you may get away with the kerb side behind the passenger without it extending/extending much past the outer edge of the mudgaurd.

Chairs are as versatile as you want them to be, once you have a firmly mounted chasis you can just about do anything.

Big bonus is its great fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 08:46 am 
Hurricane

These guys stock decent second hand chairs of varying prices click for link

Failing that, you may find something cheaper on ebay. I got a decent one worth £1600 for £180. Search for titanium wheelchair. Quickie wheelchair and Sports wheelchair.

\_ /)
(O.o) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(> <) your signature to help him gain world domination

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 09:32 am 
Hurricane

There's Disabled Gear too.

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 14:02 pm 
Major Windbag

Pixi & Delboy:-Thanks for the info, I'm looking into it all now.

Obviously it must be collapsible and light. I've checked, and double checked, my wheelchair mounting, and have settled on mounting the chair between the bike and sidecar. A simple extension wheel rail will be welded onto the sidecar frame for the collapsed wheelchair wheel to sit in, and it'll then get strapped to the sidecar's roll cage.

Dylan is getting a new wheelchair very soon, but it'll be the standard NHS supplied Invacare wheelchair, just one size bigger, and for free!!! I'm just hoping it's not too big to use on teh sidecar.

:arrow: I'm just quickly hi-jacking the thread to make a point for what the NHS has done for my family since comming to the UK 10 years ago:- I tell everyone not to mock the NHS until you've seen what's available medical wise in other countries around the world:- Sorry, but I'm originally from Southern Africa, where if you did not have a medical aid, you were made to pay lots of money for things like this. So thanks NHS.

Anyway, once Dylan has his new wheelchair, I'll finalise the mount. But it's going to be very basic, with good tie-down points.

Thanks to all who've replied, I'll post up some more photos as soon as I have things back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:17 pm 
Major Windbag

3 months down the line and still no wheelchair???

Where are these things made??? and are they pushing the thing to my house???
:twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:40 pm 
Hurricane

A polite reminder in order?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:03 pm 
Major Windbag

dik wrote:
A polite reminder in order?!!

The wife is calling today to get the proper 'polite reminder' out the way... and if we've heard nothing by next Monday they'll get my version of a polite reminder :wink: :roll: :D
It wouldn't be a problem if his chair didn't have a broken foot-rest.
Apparently it's sitting somewhere up in Sheffield??? then it needs to go somewhere else before it get's delivered to Forest Way School in Liecestershire (Dylan's school).
His school's told me they have a few spares for wheelchairs and they'd try sort something out to help in the meantime which was very good of them.

we'll see.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:26 pm 
Major Windbag

Update
Well Dylan's new wheelchar finally arrived... it's BIG! Far too big to fit between the sidecar and bike.
It would require the wheels to be taken off and mounted somewhere else before it'd fit into the space between the sidecar and bike.

Anyway, so that idea went in the bin and a new plan made to buy another wheelchair.
I found an adult size 'Enigma' wheelchair that fits well, and it's blue, which my Daughter tells me is a sign, so we bought it (£100 and it's almost brand new)

I've since spoken with Carl at Shapecraft who'll be helping me weld on the mounts, so as soon as we have some decent weather the mounts will be done.

That'll then be another job ticked off the list. And all that's left, is paint and carpet.
The carpet I might have to do myself because Watsonian say they don't have the original Squire sidecar carpet templates anymore.

Anyway, here's hoping for good weather.

The side protection panel has also been made and installed. This was made to prevent Dylan changing gears when I'm not expecting it :shock: :D :D :D , and for keeping his hands away from the chain and sprockets :roll:
It worked out well and looks great.
You can also see I managed to do the screen, which is mounted on hindges so it folds forward out the way when I take Dylan in and out, and locks down during riding. 'R' clips will stop him opening it on the move.

It's turning out great!!!
Can't wait for summer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 07:47 am 
Hurricane

I bet you cannot wait for summer, looks great