Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 19:33 pm 

Hello all,

I am in my final year studying product design and am working with a disabled client on a final project, which I will design, manufacture a prototype and write a business plan for.

The project I am running with at the moment is a wheelchair accessory for storage of personal items which is accessible to the occupant and secure. It should also be capable of safe storage of medical equipment such as catheters, feed bags, etc. I pitched the project last week but my tutors played devil's advocate and tore it apart. What I really need to find out, is whether the project is viable. If you or anyone you know can tell me what you use to store personal items and medical products and whether it is satisfactory, your input would be much appreciated.

It would also be helpful to know if you have identified a separate gap in the wheelchair (accessory) market. I'd need to know asap as the project was meant to begin last week.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 19:45 pm 
Hurricane

Not a wheelchair user myself but I will say that I don't think you're likely to get much co-operation unless you say a bit more about who and where you are.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 19:48 pm 

Hi Nic,

I am a wheelchair and scooter user. It depends what I'm carrying, but I have a number of bags ranging from a tiny shoulder bag that is really a small packing cube, but with a thin shoulder strap, through two larger shoulder bags big enough for an iPad and a 13" laptop respectively, to a couple of rucksacks. Which I use depends simply on how far I'm going, what I'm taking and how I'm traveling. E.g. 1 litre shoulder bag for going to the pub, iPad sized bag for general out and about, MacBook sized shoulder bag for work/client meetings, 25 litre bag for 1-3 night trip, 45 litre for 1-2 weeks plus! The rucksack goes on the back of the chair of course, rather than the shoulders. This seems to be the general way for most wheelchair users to carry things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 22:38 pm 
Gale Force

I have a 'bumbag' which prior to my accident used to go around my waist when on my bike wearing leathers. This now gets fastened around my seat under the cushion and hangs below the chair. I get everything essential in there I need for normal running around, (catheters, keys, gloves & gel etc). I also have a rucksack that when needed goes on the back of my chair which carries larger things in and extra medical supplies should I be away a long time.
I can't think of a need for any other 'special design' accessory for my chair.

I can't honestly think of any friends I have in chairs either who need anything more than a rucksack and/or bumbag/handbag to carry everything they require. I'm at a loss thinking of what you are aiming for that isn't already available off the shelf for wheelchair users?