Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: remote trike brakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 15:23 pm 

Hi Everyone,need to pick your brains. Rebuild a v8 trike and want to do away with the brake servo.can anyone recommend a way of doing this please? I also want to use brakes on handlebars not foot pedal. My wife is disabled with arthritis so it needs to be reliable. One last thing do I have to have a brake on front wheel. I'm running Jag IRS back axle
Kind regards
Rod

Post subject: Re: remote trike brakes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 05:53 am 
Hurricane

trikerrod wrote:
Hi Everyone,need to pick your brains. Rebuild a v8 trike and want to do away with the brake servo.can anyone recommend a way of doing this please? I also want to use brakes on handlebars not foot pedal. My wife is disabled with arthritis so it needs to be reliable. One last thing do I have to have a brake on front wheel. I'm running Jag IRS back axle
Kind regards
Rod

Rod, do you know what you are doing? Are you a mechanic?? Your questions leave more than a little concerned.

I am not a mechanic so do not have the answer for you. But I do have a question for you. If braking is done by a foot onto a large break peddle and needs a servo, don't you think you would need some sort of servo for breaking with a hand using a very small leaver? Stopping a V8 trike will require something surely.

I had dual levers on my motorbike trike and seldom used the rear brakes in anger as the front brakes were so good. Are you sure you have the right trike for your wife?

Your question about do you need a brake on the front wheel made me chuckle. How much do you love your wife? Stopping a machine that I suspect weighs in at 3/4 tonne will need front brakes. I suspect they will be needed for an MOT.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 22:15 pm 

Yes I do know what im Doing. You dont need to have a front brake to stop,because the axle brakes are more than adequate
The trike is front mounted engine
As for brake system there are remote systems on the market,but I was asking if anyone knows of a different way of doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 17:58 pm 
Hurricane

I have arthritis in my hands and wouldn't want to rely on them for stopping my trike, which is only a small bike trike!

I think you need to check the regulations, but I'm not sure which regs your trike would come under as it's a V8 which sound like it may be quite big. MOT rules would help, and I think the other one is 'Construction and Use' or something similar. I believe you have to have braking on both axles independently.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 09:14 am 
Hurricane

Apparently these are the latest regs, and if yours is already properly registered as a trike you won't have to put it through the test, but the regs are still worth a read as they tell you stuff about brakes etc which will apply when you get it MOT'd.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-msva-scheme

Bobbi White