Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trike law and MOT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 21:39 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Can someone help me I have a Reliant Robin Trike which is fully registered on a V reg 1979 with the DVLA as a Tricycle and has one of the new MOT's.
But there are some people saying it may not be not legal, but I can not see how as before I brought it I check with the DVLA the registration number and it came back that it was indeed a Reliant Super Robin Tricycle so how can it be illegal.
So if someone can help. PLEASE POST
yoda47

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:34 am 
Hurricane

Do you have the registration document? If you do, are all the details on it correct? (VIN number, engine number etc etc) Call the licencing office and have them check it's a pukka document.

Did you get the MOT? If not you can call up the hotline number (should be on it - I think it's on the back) and check that it's a proper one.

Have you got the tax & insurance with correct details on it?

If you have all these, and they are genuine documents with the correct details on them, I can't see how someone would say it was illegal.
(Unless it has bald tyres, a sword sticking out the front, and pointy things out the side for pedestrians :lol: )

Otherwise just ask them why they think it's not legal.

http://www.nabd.org.uk

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:02 pm 

Thanks Big-Vern,
You have confermd what I thought I brought this Trike from a mate ( Mad Malc ) and I had it checked by the DVLA the mot is one of the new type the same as the V5 and they both say the same thing that it is a Reliant Super Robin 848cc Tricycle.
Once again I thank you for your time.
yoda47

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 03:27 am 
Hurricane

The only other posssible area that could be of question is if it states the body type on the V5C.

For example if it says it is a 'Saloon' or a 'Van' then that could be a bit questionable, but as far as I know all you need to do is inform the DVLA of the body type change as you would if you put windows in a van.

I don't want to pour any sour milk on things, just want to make sure you are totally legal. Changing the body type on a vehicle like a Robin is not difficult as it is built in such a way that it can have a veriety of bodies fitted.

Hopr this is of some help bro.
:D

Be Cool - Get Tattooed

Post subject: Trike
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:11 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for your post and your concern, but I have every thing coverd now.
The body type says it's a Tricycle the mot says it's a Tricycle and the DVLA says it's a Tricycle, so there for it's a Trike not a Van, Car, Estate, Truck, it is just a Trike.

Regards yoda47

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 15:33 pm 
Hurricane

Glad to hear you got it sorted. That was the only other possibility I could think of but as you say, you've sorted it.

:D :D :D :D

Be Cool - Get Tattooed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 18:25 pm 

mrdegu wrote:
Glad to hear you got it sorted. That was the only other possibility I could think of but as you say, you've sorted it.

:D :D :D :D

Thanks for your post
yoda47

Post subject: Reliant log books
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 15:33 pm 
Junior

The main thing that fails these days are the folk who have been out & bought a Reliant log book,& transfered the numbers on to something that is obviously not,ie a VW Trike,[has no reliant parts whatso ever],& theres quite a few out there,loads getting sold of on ebay,to unsuspecting buyers,its not the end of the world though,ive just bought a Yam Dragstar Trike,i was told id be able to regester no probs.
Nar took me a month mainly due to waiting for an inspection,but all you need is a weigh bridge certificate,a new mot.The rest is just forms,& back on the road with a proper log book,so if your thinking of buying one thats not quite right anyone,as long as the price is right,go for it. 8)

Post subject: Re: Trike law and MOT
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 17:26 pm 

Think you should read BUYING A TRIKE WITH OUT BEING MISLED

Post subject: Re: Trike law and MOT
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 09:58 am 
Hurricane

Here is a bit of reading for you, From what I can make of it if the frame has been radically modified( bike front end on Reliant chassis or complete new frame/chassis you have to report it to the DVLA and it could need MSVA testing and end up with a Q plate.

Stix

I've spent a good while today trawling the net (including DVLA) and there's nothing, absolutely nothing about any change in the rule about no grandfather rights. Worthwhile trawl though, re-learned lots of stuff I'd forgotten about. :respek:

This is a direct crib from the government MSVA guide....

"THE MOTORCYCLE SINGLE VEHICLE
APPROVAL (MSVA) SCHEME
What is the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme?
The Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) scheme is a pre-registration inspection for
mopeds, motorcycles, three wheelers and quadricycles that have not been type-approved to
European standards. The main purpose of the scheme is to ensure that these vehicles have
been designed and constructed to modern safety and environmental standards before they can
be used on public roads. The scheme entered into force on the 08 August 2003.
Why do we need MSVA?
MSVA checks that vehicles constructed for non-European Economic Area markets comply with
British law. Even vehicles outwardly similar to European-specification models, but intended for
other markets, can often be unsuitable for use in Britain without at least some modification. (For
further information on importing a vehicle see the Department’s leaflet PI5 ‘How to Import your
Vehicle into Great Britain’). MSVA recognises certain non-European technical standards as
acceptable alternatives to the MSVA requirements.
MSVA also checks that the construction of amateur-built vehicles, rebuilt vehicles and vehicles
using parts from a previously registered vehicle meet modern safety and environmental
standards. It also provides an alternative to type approval for vehicles manufactured in very
low volume.
What vehicles are within the scope of MSVA?
(a) two wheeled mopeds and motorcycles,
(b) three wheeled vehicles, and;
(c) light four wheeled vehicles.
Will MSVA affect you?
Generally, your vehicle will need to be approved under the MSVA scheme and issued with a Minister’s Approval Certificate (MAC) if it is up to 10 years old and is not covered byl EC type approval (or similar national approval from another European Economic Area Member State that is equivalent to the technical requirements of GB Single Vehicle Approval).

MSVA will be applied to the following :
an amateur built vehicle
a vehicle manufactured in very low volume
a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle
a rebuilt vehicle (mandatory if first licensing and registration required)
an imported vehicle without type approval.
The above categories are defined in Appendix 1
DVLA may also require radically altered vehicles and rebuilt vehicles to be examined

The important part for us (as homebuilders) is "an amateur built vehicle"......and THAT includes Reliant ringers because they don't have EC type approval. Never have and never will. :snigger:

The only possible loophole I can find...and you can read this how you will, is in the exemptions list. It does read that any PLG veh over ten years old is exempt from the test.

"2. Exemptions from vehicle approval

You don’t need vehicle approval for:

heavy goods vehicles (more than 3,500kg maximum weight) over 25 years old
light goods vehicles (3,500kg maximum weight or less) over 10 years old
cars and minibuses with 8 passenger seats or less (not including the driver) over 10 years old
buses, coaches and minibuses with more than 8 passenger seats (not including the driver) built by a single manufacturer before 29 July 2010
buses, coaches and minibuses with more than 8 passenger seats (not including the driver) with different body and chassis manufacturers, made before 29 July 2011
tracked vehicles, eg a vehicle that runs on tracks rather than wheels
vehicles designed and constructed for use on construction sites, quarries, ports and airports
vehicles designed and constructed for and used by the armed services, fire and rescue forces, or used in maintaining public order"

So if your a ringer owner and your trying to be a bit clever, maybe you think that excuses you the test. Except it doesn't, because you've radically altered the veh' it'll still need an MSVA test.

Radically altered vehicles then......

"DVLA uses a points system to decide what registration number to give a radically altered vehicle.
Keep the original registration number

Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.
Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Get a ‘Q’ registration number
You won’t be able to keep your vehicle’s original registration number if one of the following applies:

it has fewer than 8 points
it has a second-hand or altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame
there’s evidence that 2 vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie ‘cut and shut’)

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a ‘Q’ prefix registration number."

So...reading all of the above, no Reliant trike on the road should ever be using it's original Reliant registration documents, because non of them would ever pass the points system to enable one to retain them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there's that date.
Not seen that write-up before.
I can see how it could be (mis?) interpreted that a Trike (or Bike) built/modified before that might be exempt.
After all, it doesn't actually say that the scheme is to be retrospectively applied to vehicles built/registered before that date . . . :hmm:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it doesn't....but understand that none of the ringers were ever properly registered in the first place. Anything built after that date has to be MSVA'd, fair enough so far 'cos that's what happens with all new builds, apart from Reliant ringers who think there a law unto themselves.

The system that's now in place (and has been for a couple or three years now) is set up to be a catch all for dodgy vehicles.

From the MOT'er who should by law refuse to test what's in front of him/her if it's not what's on the V5...then report it to VOSA via the live computer MOT link.

To VOSA who should be plucking these ringers off the road by the hundred. All they have to do is set up a mobile test station outside any major rally and they'd have truck loads of the things.

To the insurance company's who shouldn't be insuring them exactly because there ringers...they even ask for photo's of the damn things.

Etc etc etc....But as we all know, none of it works, not one small part of it. If everyone did the job they are employed to do, ALL the ringers would be off the road in 18 months tops. So I/we/us continue to try and make trikers aware of what their potentially getting in to....