Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: register as disabled
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 08:40 am 
Apprentice

if your trike has been specialy converted for you due to your disability.
how do you go about registering it as a disability vehical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:09 am 
Hurricane

Send the V5 back to DVLA with the taxation class as Disabled.

Then apply for Free road tax the normal way.

www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:22 am 
Windbag

Ru55
Are you saying if you have had adaptations you can get the vehicle re-classed as disabled and so free tax, irrelevent of being in receipt of DLA.

Our Son currently is in reciept of high rate DLA and so we recieve the vehicle taxation benefit on our people carrier ( need a big car for wheelchair etc).

My bike is set to go in for its adaptation shortly, I havent as yet but will be submitting a DLA calim to DWP dont know which why its gonna go as seems to be great variation in peoples experiences.
I have already qualified for a blue badge (which has been a god send)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:11 pm 
Hurricane

What Im saying is that if you are (Like Me) a member of the blue badge club, then you can register ONE vehicle as disabled and then get your road tax free.

I currently have a jeep cherokee registrerd as my disabled vehicle. My previous car was a mini.

hope this is helpfull

www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:48 pm 
Windbag

Thanx RU55
I didnt realise thought the free road tax came with DLA
:D

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 13:17 pm 
Apprentice

thanks for all your help :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 am 
Hurricane

You can have as many vehicles as you own that are adapted for your disability redistered in the 'disabled' class with the DVLA, ie on your V5C, but you will only get one road tax exenption for each DLA high rate mobility claim. You will have to pay the normal tax for the other vehicles even though they are registered as 'disabled'.

Be Cool - Get Tattooed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:52 am 
Typhoon Tubby

The following is a bit of rambling of my experience when I registered our trike. It worked for me so I hope it helps someone.

So you finally managed to finish building your trike without having an apoplexy or losing your sanity. The sun is shining and the riding season is nearly upon us. Job done and life is starting to look all rosy again…Err! Perhaps not.

Being a home built vehicle its going to need a thing called an MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval) Easy enough to book and have done if your trike is built to the criteria laid out in the MSVA and it complies with the C&U (construction & use) regulations.

The list of reasons a perfectly well built but adapted trike would fail the MSVA is a bit long to list here but if your trike would fail because it’s adapted for use by a disabled rider there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Fortunately there is a way to get your registration and inspection sorted out without too much bother. As a disabled person you are entitled to use a dispensation within the legislation that means that you only have to take the trike to your local DVLA office for an inspection before registration and for an MOT so they can issue your tax disk. The MOT station should also be able to stamp your frame number on for you.
I have been through the process and have been taking notes so that I may be able to steer some of you through it without too much hassle. This is sort of how it went.

After several phone calls to Swansea I finally realised the best option is to speak directly to your local office. Our Local office in Trafford sent me form V627/1 a Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report and formV55/5 Application for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration.

Now I have to point out that my trike is home built using components from at least 4 different vehicles and as such is classed as a built up vehicle and not a new one. There may be different forms for other vehicles.
Make sure the person you speak too has all the information about your build and adaptations so they can send the correct forms. There’s nothing worse than having to fill in and post a second set because you were sent the wrong ones the first time.
The DVLA staff at the Manchester office were on the ball and got this sorted without any hassles.

It’s also a good idea to itemise your receipts and include the list and all receipts with the forms when you send them off. I would also write a letter explaining your reasons for building the trike and highlight any adaptations you have fitted to suit your needs. This makes it easier for the staff at the DVLA to process your application without them having to contact you for additional information.
The more you tell them the first time means they don’t have to waste time writing to you. You will also need to include your DLA 404 to prove you are in receipt of the disabled tax entitlement.

Either post the forms or if you are a bit like me and want stuff done fast, hand deliver your forms to your local office, make sure you get them to the right person. They will post an appointment time to you to confirm the time and place for your inspection.

Contrary to popular urban myth you cannot ride to the inspection, the trike needs to be on a trailer. NOT an “A” frame or spectacle lift but a trailer. As an unregistered vehicle it is not allowed on the road and the DVLA staff have told me it’s a trailer or nothing.
Another misconception is that the DVLA will inspect your trike at home.
It used to be the case but in an effort to reduce waiting times it’s now an appointment at a DVLA approved site instead.
Apparently it saves time because in the time it would normally take to drive between different peoples home addresses they can do four or five inspections at their site. I’m all for this as I expected to wait for a month or so at least but got in within 2 weeks.

There are some that tell me that they did it differently and rode to tests etc, or in some cases they had home visits. Like I said earlier, things have changed at the DVLA concerning the process with regards trikes and bikes built for use by disabled riders - for the better I hope, as it’s time all DVLA offices came up with a country wide strategy to get this done as simply and as quickly as possible.

So off to the inspection, not a test but an inspection to show that the trike is exactly as you describe it on the built up vehicle report and the registration document. Make sure you arrive in good time, these places run like clockwork and you will not be seen if you are late.

At the inspection the DVLA Inspector took a few photos and took the details of the parts down for comparison with the receipts I had submitted. He then told me he would put the details in the system that afternoon to produce the documents and Identity for the Trike. They would be posted out the next day. Once they arrive you can then take it for a MOT test and stamp the VIN on it. The DVLA will then issue your tax disk and registration number with for your trike. They will issue a number plate authorisation certificate so you can get your plate. Your registration document will arrive in the post a short time later.

Not a difficult process but you need to make sure you have all your paperwork in order and I strongly suggest you do a proper job of the build. Even though our trike is not having an MSVA I am pretty certain it would pass one. Don’t do a half- baked job on your build just because you can get it registered without a MSVA, your safety depends on you building it right.

There are also some sad people out there who think the dispensation within the MSVA for a disabled rider is a loophole to be exploited. This is well out of order and in fact is a criminal offence. Supplying false information on the declaration you sign is in fact fraud and you will be prosecuted if caught out.

There are also those who encourage other people to claim that the trike is for a disabled rider to circumvent the MSVA. That’s even worse in my book because when nonsense like that is disseminated on websites it opens the system to abuse.
If the abuse continues long enough the government will pull the dispensation for disabled riders and ruin it for hundreds or even thousands of disabled riders all over the country.

The build wasn’t easy, or that hard come to think of it. The process of registering the trike was simplicity itself. It was only easy because I took the time to make the calls and gather all the paperwork I needed. I do think a simple bulleted leaflet with the steps on sent with your application forms from the DVLA would be helpful. It would save people a bit of time having all the information before you apply.

Like most things in life, It was easy because I planned things out. If I hadn’t I’d still be trying to register the damn thing and would not have a tasty summer ride.

I’m not saying my way is the only way but it worked for me and if you go about it in a similar fashion you will have relatively little bother in getting on the road.

Ride safe

Gary Seddon

https://www.facebook.com/grumpygarage/?ref=bookmarks

Any views or opinions expressed within this post are those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those of the NABD.
:-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 20:20 pm 
Apprentice

thanks terrortubby
i have logbook for reliant,dvla told me to fill in part 7,change of colour,and tell them it has bike front ect.the also said i may be able to still use same numberplate,it has reliant axle,and reliant engine,i couildnt get i a mot certificet mot station said because it had colour of vehical yellow,but he also said it had passed without giving me any conformation in wrighting,all the work was done at a local motocycle macanic,who booked it in for mot,when they had finished all the work,promised me ful mot ,but because of colour couildnt get one.so waiting for logbook to come back could take four weeks.then ill have to take it for mot again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 23:51 pm 
Hurricane

Just browsing some older threads and when I saw this....

Terrortubby wrote:
I do think a simple bulleted leaflet with the steps on sent with your application forms from the DVLA would be helpful. It would save people a bit of time having all the information before you apply.

Have you thought of writing such a list - since you have been through the experience - which could then be posted on the main NABD website? I think it would be a great help to a lot of folks!

Bobbi White

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 00:43 am 
Hurricane

youngblood wrote:
thanks terrortubby
i have logbook for reliant,dvla told me to fill in part 7,change of colour,and tell them it has bike front ect.the also said i may be able to still use same numberplate,it has reliant axle,and reliant engine,i couildnt get i a mot certificet mot station said because it had colour of vehical yellow,but he also said it had passed without giving me any conformation in wrighting,all the work was done at a local motocycle macanic,who booked it in for mot,when they had finished all the work,promised me ful mot ,but because of colour couildnt get one.so waiting for logbook to come back could take four weeks.then ill have to take it for mot again.

The vehicle being the wrong colour is not a valid reason for refusing an MOT. The tester should simply enter the new colour into the computer and advise you of what he's done, then recomend you update the V5C as soon as possible.

If the vehicle would have otherwise passed the test then you can contact VOSA and tell them what has happened and they will instruct the garage to issue a certificate.

Chris.

Be Cool - Get Tattooed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:32 am 
Hurricane

This has been covered loads of times, do a search and loads of threads will come up.

Registering a vehicle as a "disabled vehicle" could mean a few things.

Registering it's taxation class as disabled, (in which case it is not the vehicle that is registered, just the taxation class)

or

Registering it as a disabled carriage (which actually registers the vehicle as a certain class of vehicle, within those rules)

These are two completely seperate things, make sure you know which one you mean before conitinueing on.

Vic

http://www.nabd.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 20:46 pm 
Hurricane

Big_Vern wrote:
This has been covered loads of times, do a search and loads of threads will come up.
Vic

On the forum, yes. But I was thinking about people who may look at the main site but aren't into using forums. There are still people who think that forums are scary!

Bobbi White

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 00:23 am 
Hurricane

BikerGran wrote:
On the forum, yes. But I was thinking about people who may look at the main site but aren't into using forums. There are still people who think that forums are scary!

I'm sure Jim would consider anything anyone would like to write for the main NABD site, he's always looking for input (that's the thing with websites, it takes a lot to get people to input stuff to them, bit like the magazine)

Vic
(and yes, I'm as guilty as everyone else for not putting in reports :oops: )

http://www.nabd.org.uk

Post subject: confused
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:02 pm 
Apprentice

Hi all,I am a bit confused over this registration of trikes for the disabled.I have M.S and have been building a trike.I started the project a while ago and due to my illness, through both physical and financial restraints it is taking ages .I still have a fair bit of work to do but I am confused about the registration of it when finished.I get the higher rate of DLA and have a Motability car which is taxed as a disabled vehicle,what I need to know is can I register the trike as a disabled vehicle but pay for the road tax myself and also if the trike is registered as a disabled vehicle do I have to put it through the MSVA test.I am not trying to use disability as a way of avoiding the test but as mentioned earlier I do not have much spare cash to put towards building the trike and if I do not have to pay for the test it would be money that can be put towards it's construction .Another problem I would like advice on is that the bike I am using for the trike was given to me and unfortunately the previous owner had not notified the DVLA of two address changes and an engine change since he owned it as the bike had been dismantled and stored in his attic and he bought himself a new bike.The original owner now lives in Australia and has just recently sent the documents to me but it is still the original engine number on them plus the axle I used came from a breakers in England and I do not have the receipt for it so how can I prove to the DVLA where the parts originated from.
The reason I am building the trike is to give me some form of freedom not relying on others to drive me about so your help with my questions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve