Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:21 pm 
Hurricane

Assuming that the previous owner has signed the relevant part of the V5C to have it changed into your name then all you will need to do is add the new engine number for changing at the same time. Send the V5C off to get it just changed into your name and the engine number change first, don't bother about the trike change part yet.

You should then end up with the V5C stating the correct details ready for when you need to do the change to a trike.

The next thing we really need to know to help you any further is have you altered the bike frame at all or have you just added extra parts to the back to hold the axle in place. It will make things easier if you have.

Chris.

Be Cool - Get Tattooed

Post subject: trike conversion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:55 pm 
Apprentice

Hi and thanks for your reply,extra arms have been welded to the original frame to hold the axel and the seat has been redesigned so it is lower apart from that the rest of the frame is still the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 18:08 pm 
Hurricane

Right, so if you were asked 'can it be turned back into the original bike?' you would be honestly to answer the question 'yes'. If so it will mean you can keep the original registration number and not have to be issued with a Q plate.

After that if you follow the instructions that Terrortubby posted you should be just fine.

Chris.

Be Cool - Get Tattooed

Post subject: trike
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 18:17 pm 
Apprentice

to turn it back into a bike I would have to weld the seat section of the frame back in place,this section I still have but as it would have to be welded I take it that this route is out of question

Post subject: Re: trike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 19:45 pm 
Typhoon Tubby

mactrike wrote:
to turn it back into a bike I would have to weld the seat section of the frame back in place,this section I still have but as it would have to be welded I take it that this route is out of question

Pm me your number and I''ll talk you through it, It may save you a bit of time and brain ache :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/grumpygarage/?ref=bookmarks

Any views or opinions expressed within this post are those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those of the NABD.
:-P

Post subject: Re: confused
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:02 am 
Typhoon Tubby

mactrike wrote:
Hi all,I am a bit confused over this registration of trikes for the disabled.I have M.S and have been building a trike.I started the project a while ago and due to my illness, through both physical and financial restraints it is taking ages .I still have a fair bit of work to do but I am confused about the registration of it when finished.I get the higher rate of DLA and have a Motability car which is taxed as a disabled vehicle,what I need to know is can I register the trike as a disabled vehicle but pay for the road tax myself and also if the trike is registered as a disabled vehicle do I have to put it through the MSVA test.I am not trying to use disability as a way of avoiding the test but as mentioned earlier I do not have much spare cash to put towards building the trike and if I do not have to pay for the test it would be money that can be put towards it's construction .Another problem I would like advice on is that the bike I am using for the trike was given to me and unfortunately the previous owner had not notified the DVLA of two address changes and an engine change since he owned it as the bike had been dismantled and stored in his attic and he bought himself a new bike.The original owner now lives in Australia and has just recently sent the documents to me but it is still the original engine number on them plus the axle I used came from a breakers in England and I do not have the receipt for it so how can I prove to the DVLA where the parts originated from.
The reason I am building the trike is to give me some form of freedom not relying on others to drive me about so your help with my questions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

You would be better off registering the trike as a new built up vehicle and getting it Q plated. By the time you and the DVLA figure out that the old reg is OK to use and that you have not stolen the parts you could have your trike on the road.

Read the long winded blue bit at the top of this page and it'll tell you which forms you need.

If you get stuck let me know and I'll pm you my number and talk you thru the options available. The option of doing it as a newly built up vehicle isn't the only option, just the quickest one I can think of at the moment, It is very early and I have had no coffee yet.

Gary

Any views or opinions expressed within this post are those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those of the NABD.

Post subject: re trike
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 20:31 pm 
Apprentice

cheers gary,your help will be much appreciated,unfortunately due once again to finances the trike project has had to go on hold.With a bit of luck I am hoping to get it on the road this year but as I mentioned the big prob at the moment is lack of money and parts to get it finished.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 03:37 am 
Hurricane

In case this is of use and just a point to bare in mind.

I wish to change my vehicles taxation class to Disabled.

If you send it off to have it changed; it will be returned: You have to go to a local DVLA centre to get this done yoourself accompanied by the relavent documentation, ie proof of disabled tax entitelment from DLA etc.

Im about to run down to Exeter to sort mine this week; as mine was returned unable to change, has to be done at DVLA centre.

National Association for Bikers with a Disability
http://www.nabd.org.uk/contact/showreps.html
www.nabd.org.uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 21:06 pm 

Just a quick not to Vern, nice to see you m8 its been a few years now :)

anyway, I have a xj900 and due to the old legs I can't hold a bike up at the lights, so on my 50th the kids started a trike fund for me, hrm I don't think they quite have cue but hey I thought its about time for another trike and have started to work towards it

as mentioned I have an xj900 and I now have a anglia rear axle and a nice set of 7x14 wolfrace and tyres all in all a good start I thought

I have just read a post about the DVLA and getting it checked over etc etc etc and just wondered is it worth MOTing the bike before I adapt it ? silly question I know but I thought an interesting one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 22:38 pm 
Typhoon Tubby

Nope, you need to mot it as a trike, if it's mot'd as a bike the details would be wrong and the mot would be invalid.

Do it they way I explain in the long blue bit in this and a few other threads. it's the correct way to do it and the only way I'd suggest as a lot of the information came from extensive research, trial and error and several long and tedious phone calls.

Hope that helps :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 22:48 pm 
Hurricane

stubbie wrote:
Just a quick not to Vern, nice to see you m8 its been a few years now :)

Certainly has. Hopefully we'll get more time for a chat in another few years !!

As Gary says, if you MOT it as a bike it will be invalid as a trike anyway. so the only reason to MOT it before you trike it is if it's going to be used on the road at any time before you trike it, if not then it's pointless.

Vic

http://www.nabd.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 00:00 am 

I thought as much to, oh well immaterial I suppose until its built

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 17:22 pm 

Ok. Newbie. I will say I have read through many of the threads regarding trike building but I'm still confused. I shall explain.
I am disabled, get DLA and a mobility vehicle and have blue badges. Due to arthritis riddled hips and knees, basically I am no longer able to hold a bike up so hubby converted his Kwaka GT750 Shaft drive into a trike about 3 years ago. The VRO Officer came out to inspect it for re-registration. However, he told us that as it was not easily converted back to it's original 2-wheeled state (using a bolt on back end) that it would require an MSVA test. We explained to him that it was for me because of my disabilities and he told us that it made no difference that I was disabled it would require an MSVA. Sadly, my poor trike still sits in our garage awaiting said MSVA as we weren't and still aren't in a position to trailer it round (having no trailer or tow bar or know anyone that has) nor are we in a position financially to be able to afford an MSVA. Can anyone offer any advice? I really want it on the road but I don't know where to go from here!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 17:49 pm 
Typhoon Tubby

ratbag666 wrote:
Ok. Newbie. I will say I have read through many of the threads regarding trike building but I'm still confused. I shall explain.
I am disabled, get DLA and a mobility vehicle and have blue badges. Due to arthritis riddled hips and knees, basically I am no longer able to hold a bike up so hubby converted his Kwaka GT750 Shaft drive into a trike about 3 years ago. The VRO Officer came out to inspect it for re-registration. However, he told us that as it was not easily converted back to it's original 2-wheeled state (using a bolt on back end) that it would require an MSVA test. We explained to him that it was for me because of my disabilities and he told us that it made no difference that I was disabled it would require an MSVA. Sadly, my poor trike still sits in our garage awaiting said MSVA as we weren't and still aren't in a position to trailer it round (having no trailer or tow bar or know anyone that has) nor are we in a position financially to be able to afford an MSVA. Can anyone offer any advice? I really want it on the road but I don't know where to go from here!!

Sent you a PM and email with my number. Give us a bell and I'll explain it all. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 17:59 pm 

Many thanks Terrortubby. I'll be in touch :)