Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 00:04 am 

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum to see if you can help!

I cannot manage without a walking stick; I do not like the folding type and it’s a nuisance having to open the saddlebags and get it out every time I stop. I have seen several stick holders on bikes but never got the chance to ask the owners where they got them from. Any idea's? (must look ok on a cruiser!)

Also last year my club mates tell me a traffic warden took a great deal of interest in my bike parked in a disabled bay. I had my blue badge on display in a security case and didn’t get a ticket. Normally I would not use one the bays but there were thousands of other bikes and if I get boxed in I need help backing the bike out. Are there any rules that say solo bikes cannot use these bays? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 00:51 am 
Hurricane

Vik has a holster fitted to the front, no doubt he'll be along with details. When I need to I can clip my Leki stick to clips that I've attached to the frame but not knowing what bike you have I don't know if that's feasible for you. As for parking so long as you comply with the rules you can park anywhere.

Almost forgot, welcome to the forum. :lol:

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 03:38 am 

Thanks Delboy, it's a fully dressed Dragstar 1100 Classic. Do you know where the holster came from? If I can find something suitable I'll adapt it.

As for the disabled parking; thats the thing... all the rules I have read talk about what cars can and cannot do. As usual bikes are invisible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:34 am 
Hurricane

Parking rules for bikes using blue badges are the same as those for cars even if you have a stealth bike. I don't use mine often but have parked in disabled bays and pay & display without any problems. I'm not sure but I think Vic has a Dragstar so should be able to give you an idea.

WHERE ARE YOU VIC?

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:09 am 
Hurricane

oh no, not two dragstars with rifle holders....

and welcome to the forum btw!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 15:50 pm 
Hurricane

Delboy wrote:
WHERE ARE YOU VIC?

Tadaaaaaa ! Never fear, Vic is hear :wink: :twisted:

Hi Superplonk, I've got an 1100a classic Dragstar and take both my sticks with me wherever I go.

You can see a pick of the holster on the bike here:
http://black-country.mag-uk.org/images/ ... gstar2.jpg

I have used everything from a drainpipe to exhaust clamps and nothing worked right so I ended up having one made. I went into a Western (cowboy type thing) shop with my sticks and asked them to make a holster to fit them. They made a good job of it as well (I have had to alter it a bit since then) and it didn't cost much either. I presume any leather shop would make one.

If you have a look here:
http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/viewto ... ht=holster
you'll see some other suggestions.

As for the blue parking permit goes, it is a personal permit, for the person, not for any vehicle. Therefore as long as you have your permit you can use it in any vehicle you happen to be travelling in (I've used it with a 35 ton truck before). Strictly speaking you could even use it if you were on a bus :twisted:

Hope this helps

Vic

http://www.nabd.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 06:12 am 

Hi Vic the holster looks great; I like it when someone else does all the R & D!

From the photo the holster looks to be mounted on the front forks do you find it affects handling at motorway speeds? I had to remove wind deflector lowers because the bike would shake its head on sweeping high speed bends on a windy day.

There is a saddler 5 minutes from my home I will print off photo and see if they can help next week.

Made me chuckle when you said about using your blue badge, wish I’d had mine when in a previous life I drove LGV& PSV the traffic wardens faces would be a picture. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:54 am 
Hurricane

Superplonk wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum to see if you can help!

I cannot manage without a walking stick; I do not like the folding type and it’s a nuisance having to open the saddlebags and get it out every time I stop. I have seen several stick holders on bikes but never got the chance to ask the owners where they got them from. Any idea's? (must look ok on a cruiser!)

Next time I go to the local mega fork handles/four candles shop I will have a look at the big heap of ammunition/rocket launcher/anti tank missile boxes they have out in their yard. I seem to remember some containers one half of which could be utilised as a walking stick holder.
(It will be a while before my next visit though.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 14:41 pm 
Hurricane

Superplonk wrote:
From the photo the holster looks to be mounted on the front forks do you find it affects handling at motorway speeds? I had to remove wind deflector lowers because the bike would shake its head on sweeping high speed bends on a windy day.

I've never come across that problem, I've had her up to 110 (on a private track of course) and not had any shake at all.

It's attached by leather strap & buckles, just wrapped around the fork. The only thing to be careful of (which I learned later :oops: ) is not to put a strap between the outer tube and the stanchion, because when you hit a big bump (like in Ireland at speed :oops: ) the buckle will bend the outer tube and bugger it up (technical term).

Also they need to put a layer of leather between the 2 pieces at the very bottom of the holster, to give it extra allowance on the width of the sticks. They just stitched this part together and it didn't last long, it needs riveting, or (my next job) a metal plate put over the end to keep it all together. Otherwise the stitches break and the sticks fall out the bottom :oops: :!:

I'm also not overly happy with the press studs that hold the flap down. Although they don't come undone whilst riding, they do break (not often, I've had to replace them twice in 6 years) but I can't think of another way to fasten the flap down that can be done with gloved hands (it's amazing how many times you're ready to set off and then realise your flap is undone, very embarrasing :oops: ).

If you like I could take some more detailed pictures for you, just let me know.

(perhaps I should patent this :?: )

Plus you must be aware that you will regularly get stopped by the Police until they come to realise what it is :wink: :lol:

Vic

Last edited by Big_Vern on Sun Feb 24, 2008 14:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 14:42 pm 
Hurricane

Papasmurf wrote:
Next time I go to the local mega fork handles/four candles shop I will have a look at the big heap of ammunition/rocket launcher/anti tank missile boxes they have out in their yard. I seem to remember some containers one half of which could be utilised as a walking stick holder.
(It will be a while before my next visit though.)

I'm looking for some large boxes to use as panniers/top box if you see anything useful.

Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 20:59 pm 
Major Windbag

Big_Vern wrote:
I went into a Western (cowboy type thing) shop with my sticks and asked them to make a holster to fit them. They made a good job of it as well (I have had to alter it a bit since then) and it didn't cost much either.

Wotcha.

Just out of curiosity, was it Owen's place in Netherton ? The Ranch House, I think it's called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 21:52 pm 
Hurricane

Lone Wolf wrote:
Wotcha.

Just out of curiosity, was it Owen's place in Netherton ? The Ranch House, I think it's called.

Hello Bod, long time no see.

That's the place, I've been trying to think of the name as well. Very nice & helpful they were too.

Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 21:58 pm 
Major Windbag

Big_Vern wrote:

Hello Bod, long time no see.

That's the place, I've been trying to think of the name as well. Very nice & helpful they were too.

Vic

Wotcha.

Ooh, I'm still about :lol:

I tend to have my brekky every Thursday in the cafe just up the road from the Ranch House. I was quite surprised to see the place still up and running - it's been well over twenty years since I went in there last for a leather waistcoat. I really must poke my nose around the door one of these mornings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 22:01 pm 
Hurricane

Big_Vern wrote:

I'm looking for some large boxes to use as panniers/top box if you see anything useful.

Vic

If you ever get down to West Cornwall just go to MacSalvors and ask if you can have a look around the yard. (There is usually a mountain of various ammo boxes and other munitions boxes. Some of them are fibreglass and waterproof.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 am 
Hurricane

I USE A RIFLE BAG STRAPPED TO THE BIKE :lol: