Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 21:47 pm 

Hi to all out there!

Could anyone help/suggest/give me ideas on what I can do.

I'm short (hence the name) and I have the most beautiful XV1100. But I've only ridden it once, three years ago! I became ill, had lots removed from my innards and I now struggle to hold the bike up. (Registered disabled, can walk but not far etc)

I'd give the rest of my innards if I could ride it. She looks at me in the garage like a cat that wants a fuss and a cuddle, yet all I can do is stare and put lots of blankets to keep her warm.

OK I'm a little crazy, and you might suggest triking the bike, but my other half is a biker and belives I won't be able to filter well on one. We also have lots of other bikes in the garage, and couldn't fit a trike in.

I've seen some outriggers on some peoples bikes, but can't appear to find where they are.

Can anyone suggest what to do before I am forced to sell my V and just ride pillion.

Thanks

Jules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 04:00 am 
Gale Force

My American bike took almost 2 years until we got her rideable. Ride it to work every day now, if its not raining. Here is a page of places might have some info that helps your situation.

http://www.ridemyown.com/links/nolimits.shtml

good luck man I hope you get back on the road

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 08:57 am 
Hurricane

The easy option if you want to keep the bike is to fit a sidecar.
Find out if you can get a reverse gear added to help with moving the outfit around then you don't need to put your feet down at all.
Or you could have it made into a trike, again you will find a reverse gear helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 09:58 am 
Apprentice

Another newbie here.
I've just joined to see what's what, after test-riding a 3-wheeler yesterday - because I can't hold a bike up, either.
So I just had to respond.

What I tried yesterday was a Piaggio MP3 250 cc scooter. May not be what you had in mind, but beats only being a passenger. The 3 wheels are 2 at the front and it counts as a 2-wheeler because it still leans - wow how it leans!!
It has a stability button that locks it vertical, so you don't have to hold it up, either while stopped at lights or when wheeling. Admittedly it was very heavy to wheel, but I think I can basically avoid having to do so (bike test excepting).
There is also a 400 cc LT version, with wider front wheels, which counts as a car (but rather better than a Reliant Robin) and can be ridden on a full car licence. It still leans, by the way.

So, keep investigating your options. Something might surprise you yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 13:52 pm 
Hurricane

Scooter wrote:
it counts as a 2-wheeler because it still leans

hello and welcome to the forum scooter.

thats not strictly true, it counts as a bike because of the width between the two front wheels. there is another manufacturer making them just a tad wider so it counts as a trike and you can therefore ride it with a car licence.

i can not remember the width limits now, 65cm?? anyone? and i also forget who make the trike version. its in a thread somewhere but i have no inclination to look it up, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 14:04 pm 
Apprentice

I think we're basically agreeing!!!
What I'm saying is there are 2 different versions of the Piaggio MP3: one is a "motor bicycle" for purposes of road law, even though it has 3 wheels, and one (the LT) has the two front wheels set wider (than the other version) and can be ridden on a car licence.

Surely if the first one didn't lean, it wouldn't be classed as a bicycle? Wouldn't they call that one a trike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:05 am 
Windbag

2 wheels on the same axle with a maximum outside width of 450mm are classed as a single wheel for UK legislation purposes. Any 3 wheeled vehicle that has 2 wheels meeting this criteria is classed as a motorcycle.

If 2 wheels on the same axle have a maximun width of more than 450mm, then the vehicle is classed as a tricycle

No 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle is classed as a car and leaning has nothing to do with it. It's wheelplan and number of wheels that matters.

Motorcycles need a bike licence to ride and trikes can be ridden with any car licence or a bike licence (with weight restriction) where the test was passed before (I think?) October 2000

Last edited by happybiker on Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:10 am 
Apprentice

OK, thanks HappyBiker.
I stand, or rather sit, corrected!!

(Does that mean the Reliant Robin was classed as a tricycle?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:21 am 
Windbag

All the Reliant 3 wheelers are classed as tricycles due to their wheelplan. Be carefull though, if one alters the steering or chassis then the Reliant must be DVLA inspected or MSVA'd before being put back on the road.
There are many altered 'bike type' Reliants on the road registered as eg 'Reliant Robin Van' or 'Reliant Realto Saloon' without being inspected and most these are actually illegal as the alterations have not been declared. Any V5c belonging to an altered or rebuilt vehicle should have it noted on the form.

Don't buy a trike that is not legal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 20:15 pm 

Hi to all I am a newbie here and just thought that I would come in with the modifications that I had to have to enable me to ride my Goldwing. First I had to get push button gears fitted, Then I purchased from an American company called Chopper design a system that they call Leg-up, This system replaces the centre stand, only it has small wheels to help you support the bike until you reach nine MPH. You then have the choice to either ride with it up until you want to put it down (if stationary) or press a button and it will come down automatically when you slow down to below nine MPH. Where it really comes into its own is when you are reversing, being a goldwing reverse is fitted as standard but it is so much easier with the help of these stabilizers. I believe they demonstrate this system on u tube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 06:45 am 
Hurricane

interesting post lawrance - and welcome btw!

when you can, it would be great to see some photo's of your bike.

will you be going to alba west?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 23:42 pm 

Hi Dik

I am sorry that I will not be at Alba West, We are flying away to the sunny Algarve that week.

I am probably more sorry that I am missing the chance to meet up with some of you guys, Hopefully there will come another chance.

There is always the chance that if you are ever in this neck of the woods you could drop me a line and we could meet up somewhere for a coffee.

As far as posting photo`s this is way out of my league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 23:50 pm 
Hurricane

JUst watched the YouTube video - that's some pretty impressive piece of kit. Any idea how much it costs ?.

Kinell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 00:05 am 

Hi Kinell

Unfortunately I know exactly how much it cost me, But I do not think they have had many if any buyers from the UK so I was probably like a prototype.

I had it fitted by a motorbike dealer in Edinburgh called Two Wheels, if you gave them a phone on 0131 667 7305 and asked for a salesman by the name of Robert I am quite sure that he would answer all your questions, just say to him that Lawrance gave you his number and he will know exactly what you are asking about and I am pretty sure that it does not take long to fit, anyway they are not to far from the centre of Edinburgh to go for lunch take in the sights etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 08:34 am 
Hurricane

here are some photos from lawrance: