Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: epileptic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 21:54 pm 

hi guys n gals new here my wife has epilepsy but likes biking does anyone know of any adaptations to stop her falling off if she has a seizure on the back of the bike by the way it is a gsx1400

many thanks gruff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:20 am 
Hurricane

Only thing I have seen was on a cruiser,a large back/top box with a pad to lean against and a pair of arm rests(these swiveled up to make getting on easier) so a lap belt from a car could be adapted to help keep the passanger secure.
Or you could get a trike or side car,know it aint the same as a solo but if needs must!!!.

Stix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 05:50 am 
Apprentice

Well I'm an epileptic and have been since I was a child. I've ridden solo bikes and trikes as a rider. I think the first thing would be to get the epilepsy under control if seizures are common. Next it may be safer to get a sidecar or a trike - a sidecar would be the safest. I wouldn't recommend a seatbelt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 07:24 am 
Hurricane

hello and welcome.

i am constantly amazed at what folk will consider when they have a 'disability', pushing the envelope. knowing nothing about epilepsy, i would like to be devils advocate here. and feel free to tell me to shut up! i would never have thought it safe for her to be on the back of a bike. would the seizure not be distracting and dangerous for you? and what would the authorities say? and what about her welfare - having a seizure on a bike and all togged up would not be a good place to have one, would it? some serious implications in your question.

i guess you have thought these questions through already. i am all about empowerment and taking risks. as i get older, i take fewer risks a i know how much it hurts and recover always seems to take that bit longer!

rhodgie has a great tag line - "something like that will never happen to me". a lot on here are testament that it does!!

be careful and all the very best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 08:43 am 
Tropical Storm

I am in full agreement with you there Dik. My wife as had epilepsy For over 30 years and i would never take her on my bike. I dont ride bikes now but have a trike. Dont have a problem with her on the trike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 00:16 am 
Apprentice

You need to understand what any triggers are that cause the fit. In my case I was photosensitive, which is I flickering of the sunlight through the trees as you go along the road. This would cause me to freeze and stare (a petit mal) and on occassion I'd get the full fit and collapse (a grand mal). Other people's triggers are tiredness, missing meals and of course the big one - not taking your medication. Of course if the medication is not correct, then the seizures will still occur. Epileptics can still drive as long as they have been seizure free for a sufficient period. The flickering of sunlight doesn't affect me anymore, but missing medication does.

Like I said, if the seizures are still occurring so as to worry you with a pillion falling off or you losing control, then there is something wrong with the medication of the epileptic OR that person is one of the minority of epileptics who cannot be controlled by medication and/or surgery and so the sidecar is the best bet.

Most epileptics you couldn't even pick - one even captained the English cricket team. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 08:45 am 
Hurricane

thats an interesting insight rollinground.

i suspect i fall into the majority in this country and think of epilepsy as uncontrollable, and having fits on the floor at random times with no real reason. thank you for putting me straight...i guess you have to do this all the time?

its good to hear something positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 22:50 pm 
Apprentice

dik wrote:
thats an interesting insight rollinground.

i suspect i fall into the majority in this country and think of epilepsy as uncontrollable, and having fits on the floor at random times with no real reason. thank you for putting me straight...i guess you have to do this all the time?

its good to hear something positive.

Most people I know, friends or work colleagues, wouldn't even know I have the problem. I used to be very secretive about it, because everyone wants to be "normal" - whatever that is... but I don't worry about it now.

Like I said, a small number do fit uncontrollably. Some have fits several times a day and nothing much can be done.

In the past it was believed you were "possessed" and the priest would be called round. Much less boring than a visit to the doctor's today. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am 
Hurricane

In the past it was believed you were "possessed" and the priest would be called round. Much less boring than a visit to the doctor's today. :twisted

It's no fun if they came round then dragged you off and burned you at the stake for being possessed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 22:40 pm 
Apprentice

AdeN wrote:
It's no fun if they came round then dragged you off and burned you at the stake for being possessed!

Actually you were burned at the stake if you were a witch or heretic. For being possessed you were exorcised - remember the Salem Witch Trials or Linda Blair? Then again, I suppose it was simply the initial diagnosis that got you the priest or the flame!

See the link below for a fairly recent example:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/79517/epilepsy-patient-killed-during-exorcism/

Post subject: Re: epileptic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 23:22 pm 
Minor Windbag

Old thread I know, but it's nice to see that there are other epileptics on here :)

Luckily mine is under control,(simple partial and complex partial with absence) finally after a good few years, and now I'm the driver for my other half coz she's the one with the DLA :lol:

I don't think personally that I'd want to have a passenger who had uncontrolled epilepsy on a solo, but is a side car there'd be no problem. I'm not so sure about a trike though, just as dangerous if they have a fit. Of course that is dependent on what type of seizures they have.

Talking of triggers, I know a bloke who has a seizure if he lifts up his left arm, and only his left arm
:)