Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 am 

Hi im new on here and needing some advise please. My wife suffers with Arthritis,hypermobility syndrome and fibromyalgia and really wants a Trike. I will hapilly build her one but the problem is she only has a provisional liscence and a CBT. She's tried taking a car test but really found i hard due to her reduced mobility and so failled and dosent want to go through it again. She also had a Sr125 for a while but can't hold up a bike or scooter anymore and there's the risk if she comes off she will do some real harm to herself. I remember hearing years ago that you can ride a Trike on L plates as long as its only a single seater and no reverse gear. Does this still exist or is there anyway she could take a test on a trike. She is registered Disabled and has a Blue Badge.
Thanks James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 13:01 pm 
Hurricane

It is possible for people to pass a B1 only test which gives a full licence for a trike only (weighing less than 550Kg).
First the rider needs a provisional licence.
Then he/she needs to look at the trike.
It must be under 550kg unladen (most trikes are less than this).
If it has a pillion or passenger seats of any kind he can only ride on L plates when accompanied by a qualified driver. (See Qualified Driver topic)
If the trike has only 1 seat it can be ridden solo on the road when accompanied by a qualified instructor (on a bike or other vehicle in touch by radio, in other words on a formal lesson).

Trike riding does not require a CBT (CBT is motorcycle specific).
Generally it is best to take a training course with a qualified motorcycle instructor, (I have never heard of a car instructor who will accompany a trike rider). Though the riding instructor must make himself aware of the various aspects of the trike test, which is more in line with a car test.

On booking a test it is worth making sure that the test centre understands it is a trike not a 3 wheeled car, as we have had cases where individuals have turned up for tests and the examiner has refused to get on the trike (as they have a right to do if they feel unsafe). Generally the test is carried out by an examiner on a motorcycle with radio communication.

Finding an insurer who will give cover to a provisional trike rider is a bitch, but Phoneus Insurance and Bikesure have both given cover in the past.

Our usual advice is 'Take a car test then ride a trike' it gives a broader licence, insurance is cheaper, instructors are easier to find and you can use a driving school car (if you don't require adaptions).

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 16:51 pm 

Thanks for that. Does'nt sound like its going to be easy for her to take a test on a trike then. The instructor would have to meet her at our house as she wouldnt be able to ride the trike to them. Shame i can't instruct her then i could buy the radio gear then follow her on my bike but im not qualified. Only wants a single seater as well so that rules out me going on the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 16:55 pm 

Theres no way then that she could ride the trike on her own on L plates before taking her test then? I remember years ago you could get away with it as long as it was single seat and no reverse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 18:46 pm 
Hurricane

good reply delboy, spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 15:26 pm 
Windbag

Delboy wrote:

Our usual advice is 'Take a car test then ride a trike' it gives a broader licence, insurance is cheaper, instructors are easier to find and you can use a driving school car (if you don't require adaptions).

Only applies if the car test is passed before next February.

re the 'without reverse gear ' point brought up by a couple of posters. that law was abolished in 1963, please keep up with legislation folks :D