Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello. Newbie.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 21:04 pm 

Hello all. Steve from Devon. Newbie here. On 02. Lungs giving up.gas exchange compromised.
Looking at the dynamics of putting oxygen portable unit, onto my motorbike.
If any one knows how this is done or anyone that has achieved this, do let me know.
:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 23:53 pm 
Hurricane

welcome to the madhouse

as for attaching o2 tank to bike have you tried cable ties and electrical tape?
pretty much every bike i have owned was held together by them unless it was structural in that case it was duct tape lol

I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't.

Post subject: O2 portable
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 00:46 am 

Hi eddy. The concentrator is the size of a large flask. It's easy enough to , attach, to the bike, ie, in the tank bag.
The tech issues are the 12 v supply,amp draw of the concentrator, can the bike cope with it? rectifier,regulator and alternator. Also the bikes battery.
To choose an adventure bike first or the correct,suited 02 device. Only a few o2 concentrators on the Market. Some devices have a battery and 12 volt, some conserver o2 batteries last 50 minutes when disconnected from 12v. Some last 4 hours with a 24 cell battery. A24cell can cost over £400 just for the battery.
Another issue is some o2 devices will charge the battery but not whilst device is giving you the oxygen whilst your riding. No multi tasking?
.what's the point if you arrive somewhere and have to wait 3 hours for battery to charge. The breathing in between?
Some bikes have room for larger more powerful bike batteries if needed, some don't., also once the 02 is put into either a pannier or the tank bag, the oxygen device actually needs fresh air to convert it into nearly pure oxygen. A closed pannier is no use. Stale air.? Tank bag needs fresh air. What if it rains?
I've even been told add another bike battery in side pannier then parallel wire it to main battery like a leisure battery on a camper van.
Recently someone told me to put a solar panel on the top box. Then what? How would I wire the panel?
Then throw in... destination of choice is western sahara.
No hotel, no electric, just bike power and bike charging.
It must be doable.
Somehow.....
:-)

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 00:47 am 

Thank you for the welcome eddy. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 01:18 am 
Hurricane

erm yea im not exactly a expert on said technicals but will have a stab in the dark as it were,

you mentioned going to a desert area ie western sahara ,me personally i would have 4 batteries 1 in use in tank bag, 1 fully charged in top box, and 1 in either pannier on charge via solar charger built in / strapped on to top of said pannier having said that how long you planning on being away from civilisation for?

and how often would you need o2 tanks?

I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't.

Post subject: 02
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 01:48 am 

Hi eddy,thanks. Would hope to manage being away for 2-4 weeks in total. The O2 is used 24/7 which enables me to walk a few hundred metres slowly. Without the 02 ?
Let's not go there. :-)
4 batteries sounds good. Unfortunately the conserver is over £3,200 and the batteries £about £400 . Trying to work a cheaper option and still breathe safely :-)
The nhs provide the 02 from a mains unit and mains supply. I also get liquid02 in a tommy tardis in the garage that refills flask that lasts 2-4 hours.
Unfortunately one cant take this abroad and the liquid 02 wouldn't last on a bike as it dissipates when not used, so would run out anyway.
Nhs do not supply the acdc conservers, presumably due to cost and purpose.
The reality is I might try this trip and not get very far, but we gotta hold onto dreams sometimes eh? Or accept certain limitations?
Bike dealership is trying as are smile rehab, but were stuck on the tecnicals.
Thought I would row it to the forum as well in case others had tried to wire 02 through a motorcycle? Interesting line of thought there eddy. I'll ask dealer on Monday.
Staying positive :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 03:10 am 
Hurricane

have you thought about draggin trailer with needed extrras?

Post subject: o2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 08:17 am 

Hi eddie. Yes I saw an example on line. I did consider a trike too. Maybe an option in the near future. Some of those trikes are uber lush imo. The steering would be different? Cornering etc? Then insurance? Maroc is close to v diff to insure via uk, add a trailer or trike and more complex. Uk insurers generally don't green card maroc.
Options are open eh? :-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:18 pm 
Major Windbag

:shock:
£400 for a battery pack... wow. That is expensive.

Can you post a photo of the battery pack with any info on manufacture and battery spec.
Batteries differ in a few ways, e.g. material, physical size, different voltages and amp hour discharge rate. Different applications require diferent types.
But a £400 battery.... I'd hope it came with it's own dynometer connected to a bicycle... with someone to pedal it for that price!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:57 pm 
Hurricane

hi steve and welcome.

this oxygen, for you or the bike?!!! :twisted: :wink: