Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 18:35 pm 

My hubbie lost his right leg above the knee last year after he got hit head on by a &@££$* who really shouldn't have been on the road (who also happened to be on a bike). He's also lost the use of his right arm apart from a bit of hand and wrist movement.

He REALLY wants to get back on two wheels, but just got told by an adaptions co that with his injuries he'd be better on a trike (really not what he wanted to hear)! Is there anyone else out there with similar injuries and already back on a bike? Some advice would be very much appreciated! Guessing having the throttle and front brake lever (with linked brakes?) on the left might work. Is there such a thing as a left foot clutch, with maybe a thumb gear shift on the left? Any other combos?

He's got a '98 (R reg) fireblade, with straight bars and dreams of getting a Ducati again one day xx

Thanks for looking :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 08:42 am 
Hurricane

hello and welcome to the forum.

i am sure those with a similar injury will post soon. but as long as he can keep a bike up right at the lights, then i would have thought the adaptations would be straight forward-ish! my first thoughts would be a kliktronic gear shift and then combine the brakes for the left foot. switch the throttle to the left as well of course.

got a mate who is paralysed down one side and he managed a trike - could not balance a bike. trike are not all bad news - they carry more beer!

hope he gets it sorted before the Ducati arrives!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 14:29 pm 
Hurricane

For a few years I rode a motorbike with a full artifical right leg.. I had someone weld the rear brake to a mounting point on the left side .. in all those years I never once fell off or tipped over, but obviously I had to leave it in gear at the lights and junctions etc with the adaptions now available certain aspects of riding would be easier however now im older and a little bit wiser I wouldnt dream of riding like that now and I wouldnt trust any device to keep me upright as its only got to fail once and that could be the end. trikes are just as much fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 08:19 am 

Thanks for the replies. He has begun to try out the idea of a trike, but still not ready to give up on bikes just yet. We've found a couple of clutch systems which mostly remove the need to use the clutch lever when you change gear, but they're pricey. Maybe when it comes to it maybe he'll go with the trike for the road and get his 2 wheel thrills on the track a la Alan Kempster and Danny Campion! Won't know til he's tried though and he's pretty determined!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 am 
Hurricane

Madam5plates wrote:
Thanks for the replies. He has begun to try out the idea of a trike, but still not ready to give up on bikes just yet. We've found a couple of clutch systems which mostly remove the need to use the clutch lever when you change gear, but they're pricey. Maybe when it comes to it maybe he'll go with the trike for the road and get his 2 wheel thrills on the track a la Alan Kempster and Danny Campion! Won't know til he's tried though and he's pretty determined!

Remember that unless the bike is a "true " automatic (no clutch) then you still need to use the clutch for stopping and pulling away. Changing gear once moving can sometimes be managed by an ignition interrupter system but from what I've read they are only marginally better than clutch less changing (easy going up hit n miss coming down).

He might like to google "Leanster trike" this a true leaning trike built in the same configuration as the Spyder. Built in Australia I think.

Getting my thrills on the track sounds good to me 8)

The right solution is out there but be careful not to spend a bundle on stuff that doesn't really do th job he needs.

Good luck. T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 17:15 pm 
Hurricane

EFM clutch requires no clutch lever though they recommend you retain it.. but you dont need the clutch lever to pull away, change gear or stop. there are a few other companies who produce something similar.

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

If hes got a vmax then theres one for sale or was a couple of days ago on the vmax forum.. very good price too considering all the engineering work to get them to fit has been done.. truely a play and play mod.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:49 pm 

Hey,

Don't let him give up the dream of riding on 2 wheels.

I'm Danny Campion's brother and I've helped him adapt his bike to get him back out and riding on the track.

Dan's injuries are pretty much identical with him having to have his right leg amputated above the knee and having bpi to his right arm leaving it unusable (at the moment, fingers crossed) from a rta just last September.

We've pretty much used spares around the garage and plenty of trial and error and have come up with something that Dan feels safe on and can go fast on.

The only aid he's bought is a CABS autoblipper (around £300) which allows him to shift clutchlessly down the box (he already had a quickshifter to go up the box) which has meant he can concentrate on his devil braking, but he's confident he could ride fast even if he had to use the clutch to go down the box.

I'll write up a post with plenty of pics when I get a chance but for now let me know what info you need and I'll go through what we've modified and how we've gone about it, and check out his facebook page as there's plenty to see and get idea's from on there.

All the best, Ben.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 08:55 am 

Hi Ben
Great to hear from you. Danny has made incredible progress. Alan Kempster suggested I get in touch with him a little while ago and we had a good chat on FB. He's lucky having you there to get all the work done so quickly, can we borrow you?! I think we're nearly there with a plan, although it keeps changing and will probably change again as we go along. Stu has now decided to concentrate on the Gixer 750 he bought as a track bike not long before his accident. He's found a left side brake lever with master cylinder that he can fit on the bar, and he reckons his right hand has enough function to twist the throttle, we'll see! Probably going to get a Kliktronic, to make it easier with the whole side stand, selecting first gear, not falling over thing. Must admit I'm pleased he'll be trying on a track first before he gets back out on the road.

Thanks for getting in touch and for all the advice. I'm sure we'll be dropping you a line again soon as he starts trying things out on the bike.
Take care and say hi to Danny
Liz