Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 09:41 am 

Hi there guys/gals,

I have tried to go back to bike riding after nearly 30 years but due to my Menieres Syndrome just cant corner. My balance is screwed despite the medication.

So am trying to find suitable alternative.

I only have a provisional bike licence but have a full car licence restricted to auto (78)

My new (renewed this year) licence has cat A (tri) 79 listed as full as I guess it came under the car license from 20 years ago.

However, it does not have a 78 auto restriction after it as does cat B (car).

Does this mean I can legally ride a geared trike.

There is no way I could pass a bike test due to my balance problems.

Is there a CC or KW limit on trikes, I can't see a 125 pulling a trike backend!

This is all very frustrating for me and is getting me down. Hubby still rides his bikes after 30 years but I never put in for my test back then, what with kids and suchlike car was more practical in the end. Now I want that 'little bit of freedom' seems I am stumped.

DVLA didn't seem to understand what I meant when I rang them and made me even more confused. They said no restriction on my A (tri) licence but others have said restricted to same as Main covering category i.e B auto and even if I take a manual car test now it still won't cover me for trike.

How complicated can it be?

Any info gratefully received

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:18 pm 
Hurricane

I found some info but I'm reluctant to post it as I'm confused by what you are saying.

Quote:
I only have a provisional bike licence but have a full car licence restricted to auto (78)

My new (renewed this year) licence has cat A (tri) 79 listed as full as I guess it came under the car license from 20 years ago.

So do you, or do you not, have a full bike licence? as category A says
Quote:
You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

I think you need to clarify this, if you have a full bike licence you can ride a trike, and if you have only a provisional bike licence you can't.

On the other hand, if you have an existing car licence but it's restricted to automatic, you can only ride an Automatic Trike.
Quote:
As of January 19th 2013 Trikes will become part of the Motorcycle licence category. (Before they came within the Car Category). For people with existing full car licenses prior to January 19th 2013, nothing changes

There ARE automatic trikes avaialble.

Lastly, if for any reason you DO need to take a test, there is special provision for people with disabilities to take a test on a trike. See the letter from Rick Hulse (NABD Chairman) on the Trike Shop page about Trike Law.

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=6257

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:58 pm 

Ok thanks,

I have an full auto car licence, which, as it was taken many years ago, has the trike category held under B for cars. So affectively giving me a full trike licence. BUT as my car licence is restricted to Auto I am assuming I can only ride an auto trike. However, there is no restriction 78 listed on my licence under the heading of trikes. Whether this is purely a mistake by DVLA, I have no idea. Strangely, all the other cateories on the licence, truck, van etc have the 78 (auto ) restriction listed next to them. So who knows.

I never sat my full bike test back when it was just A. Nor did I need a CBT, didn't exist. You just bought a small bike and away you went with L plates.

I guess its all tits up now due to European legislation and that's why it's got more complicated to understand.

So-
Full Auto Car licence showing catA(tri)79
Provisional bike licence

What does it all mean?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 17:49 pm 
Gale Force

So only automatic trikes or automatic cars for you then...
As for bikes of any type you would be starting from scratch with the CBT first.
I'm just pleased I passed my tests before my accident and long before they complicated all the laws :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 21:47 pm 
Hurricane

Yep, looks like the bike bit is a mistake so it's an auto trike for you! That's the simplest way to go anyway.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 13:12 pm 
Major Windbag

This is the 1st time i can say i like being in my 40's :D and thankfully passed way back in 87 and full bike in 2000 (though was riding alot earlier than that :D :oops: ) but boy have they complicated this almost beyond understanding , even if its an Auto Trike its still a trike buddy and you can get out and about and enjoy it just the same mate :)yes

Sean Farrell Stives , Cornwall Rep (not Stives, Cambridgshire :D )

http://kernowkards.wix.com/riders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 01:31 am 
Gale Force

Wish I could still say I still like being in my 40's lol, if only we could turn back the clock... :( :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 18:04 pm 
Hurricane

Hah, wish I WAS still in my 40s!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 22:58 pm 
Minor Windbag

I hope I can remember being in my 40s :lol:

Hi Wobbly, best bet would be to talk to the relevent department at the DVLA, I had similar type of questions when I got my licence back and they clarrified everything for me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 00:06 am 
Major Windbag

ha ha ha :ROTFL:

Sean Farrell Stives , Cornwall Rep (not Stives, Cambridgshire :D )

http://kernowkards.wix.com/riders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 22:50 pm 
Hurricane

Why is everyone saying auto only car licence means you can only ride an auto trike. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .

Thats not correct, I have auto only car licence (1989) and can ride my manual Vmax trike using the provisional manual part of my licence. (Full auto licence entitles you to provisional manual entitlement)

You have to follow provisional rules such as L plates and Bikesure etc will happily insure you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am 
Hurricane

Good point Daryl. Did you ever take the B1 test?

Out of interest, when I took my B1 test they put cat A on my licence rather than B1. I would be very careful with the DVLA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 16:12 pm 
Gale Force

Will only having provisional entitlement mean that the trike will have the same power restrictions as a learner on a solo bike?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 18:10 pm 
Hurricane

Hi Dik.. not yet mate..spose I will if im ever forced to :lol:

Wheels..as far as im aware there are no restrictions as mine is a 1200cc.. though I dont know about those who attained there licence after this years January debacle, on the paper part of my licence under the provisional area I have Cat A and B which which expire the same time as my licence (2040)

The plastic part has Cat A with Trike in brackets (no auto restriction ie 78)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 09:07 am 
Hurricane

Perhaps this will help

As of January 19th 2013 the new ‘staged’ licensing system comes into affect.
(I will do a more involved report on how it affects motorcycle tests later).

How will it affect trikes?

As of January 19th 2013 Trikes will become part of the Motorcycle licence category. (Currently they come within the Car Category).

For people with existing full car licenses prior to January 19th 2013, nothing changes. (New licensing rules cannot be backdated).

After January 19th 2013 only people with disabilities will be permitted to take a test on a trike.
(This dispensation is greatly due to consultations between the NABD and the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) including the submission of a very detailed report by the NABD Chairman relating to the use of trikes and sidecar outfits by disabled people).

For disabled people wishing to take a test on a trike after January 19th 3013 they will have to take a CBT (slightly amended to suit trikes). They will also have to do the motorcycle theory test and the practical tests (Mod 1 test is also slightly adapted to suit trikes; i.e. less cones and no avoidance manoeuvre etc.)

A disabled person taking a test on a trike will qualify for a licence restricted to trikes. It will not qualify them to ride solo motorcycles or drive cars.

Able-bodied people who don’t hold a full car licence prior to January 19th 2013 will have to pass a motorcycle test, on a motorcycle, before they can ride a trike. (Those who already hold a motorcycle licence will by default be able to ride trikes).

Able-bodied people who are currently riding trikes on L-Plates must successfully pass a test before January 19th 2013.
After that date they can only ride a trike if they successfully pass a motorcycle test on a motorcycle first.

People who hold a licence with a provisional B1 category shown on it will still be entitled to ride trikes up to a gross weight of 550kg on L-plates without taking a CBT.
N.B. The B1 category was an automatic entitlement with a motorcycle licence prior to 1999 but motorcycle licenses (full or provisional) issued after in or after 1999 have no B1 entitlement.

There is no change to the dispensation that allows disabled people to use a motorcycle and sidecar combination to take a motorcycle test, though this would also result in a licence restricted to motorcycles fitted with sidecars.

Rick Hulse
NABD Chairman

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk