Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can Am Spyder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 15:15 pm 

Does anyone here have any experience of adapting the Can Am Spyder?

I'm an incomplete C3-C5 tetraplegic who has been riding a Can Am Outlander Quad-Bike for the last three years, but am looking for an upgrade to the Spyder three wheeler. However, my right side isn't great so I need either to fit a thumb throttle or move the twisty to the left, but more importantly it has a foot brake on the right and my right leg is useless! I'd need to move this to the left. Ideally, a left foot brake as the left handlebar is cluttered enough. Sadly, I haven't yet managed to find anyone who's done this before. Anyone here tried it?

Post subject: Re: Can Am Spyder
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 15:39 pm 
Hurricane

Might be some useful info here...
http://www.pmeautoconversions.com.au/solutions/moreproducts/can-am-spyder-roadster-kit-

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 19:30 pm 

Thanks for that :D It doesn't solve my issues, but it does suggest they can be solved. They simply operate the existing brake pedal using a cable pull hand brake lever. It can't be beyond the ken o'man to do the same using a pedal on the right side... can it?

I think I'll pass on the footboards though... I'm sure they're great, but they remind me of the weights my Action Man deep-sea diver had :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 21:45 pm 
Hurricane

I didn't look at it all tbh, just thought it might provide some inspiration! Good luck with your mods!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 22:46 pm 
Gale Force

Could you not move the twist grip to the left hand side, and fit a Klever2 on the left also and use it for the clutch and brakes if you link the front and back brakes to the same lever?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 15:57 pm 

BikerGran wrote:
I didn't look at it all tbh, just thought it might provide some inspiration! Good luck with your mods!

That it does, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 16:08 pm 

Wheels-UK wrote:
Could you not move the twist grip to the left hand side, and fit a Klever2 on the left also and use it for the clutch and brakes if you link the front and back brakes to the same lever?

Moving the twist grip to the left is doable, albeit expensive on the fly-by-wire models (£100 on cable operated versions, £1,250+ on fly-by-wire ones), and there's no clutch with the automated electronic sequential gearbox. However, I'm worried that adding a brake to the left bar would clutter things a little too far. I'd have the twist grip, the brake, the gear 'flippers' (index finger and thumb) plus the indicators, lights and headlight flasher. A left foot pedal might be a simpler answer... possibly!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 17:04 pm 
Hurricane

If you can operate a thumb throttle ok with the system on the Spyder probably better i would have thought than all on the left. While linking front and back brakes would work you would still need two independent braking systems ? would think a rear foot brake lever on left a good option

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 15:51 pm 

davsil wrote:
If you can operate a thumb throttle ok with the system on the Spyder probably better i would have thought than all on the left. While linking front and back brakes would work you would still need two independent braking systems ? would think a rear foot brake lever on left a good option

It already has combined, car style, brakes, operated by a right foot brake only. The fly-by-wire throttle also makes the throttle adaptation difficult, but I've got that sorted, I believe, with a left hand mount. Plus, though I manage the thumb throttle it is a right pain after an hour or so.