Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 01:50 am 
Apprentice

Hi

I think it best to start by explaining that my disability is my right leg and hips caused by motorcycle crash in 1993. This left me with my right leg having internal fixators and part of my right hip. 5 operations on including 2 bone grafts I still walk with either walking stick, crutches or if out with the family at a park or event where there will be more walking I use a wheelchair. I always wear a brace on my right leg that encompasses the tibia which is most sensitive, the brace makes knocks and falls more bearable.

I have nerve damage to my right leg and this causes some sensory delays in moving my right foot resulting in me falling over. If I am thinking and am aware or in unfamiliar surroundings I don't tend to fall. The falling happens when I am in familiar surroundings and am thinking of other things like work or what I want to do next. I turn right expecting my right leg to follow but the delay is there and I fall over. I have lived with this for some years and have continued to ride motorbikes but in February this year I fell down some steps at work, "I know what was I doing taking the steps when there is an elevator." I wasn't thinking about my immediate actions but the items I had left in my car. I then fell down a flight of 12 steps fracturing the wing type bone of the T1 vertebrae, which is between the shoulder blades but at the top of the neck.

Sorry for the delay but here is my question - When I eventually get out of this collar I am intending to ride again. As anyone else suffered similar injuries and continued to be in pain but still managed to ride. I am thinking of the effect wind will have against a crash helmet and the forces imposed on my neck. I am lucky in the fact that I am a fairly big chap and have a muscular neck, shoulders and chest.

I am thinking of having the mod done so the back brake is operated from the handlebar this will mean my right leg just needs to sit there with no real movement not that I use the back brake a great deal anyway. Have any of you or do you know anyone who rides, that could advise me if there is anything I can do to reduce the forces from helmet weight and wind on my neck? :?:

I really hope I can talk with someone but would like to thank you for just reading this post, I apologise for its length.

Warmest regards

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 07:22 am 
Hurricane

Well Shane, I don't have any of the problems you mention, but I used to have a Honda Valkyrie. That had a big screen on the front and it was like driving a car. There was little wind. I remember the first time I took it off and was amazed at the difference. So, not sure how a great big screen would look on your bike, if not good, then buy a Harley. Or a Valky of course!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 01:26 am 
Apprentice

Hi Dik

That is good option, I think there are taller screens for the Pan Europeans. I will look in to that as I have the standard at the moment.

Thanks