Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 18:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hip problem
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 19:56 pm 

After being T-Boned in 1995 I couldn't ride a conventional bike due to left leg problems so managed to track down a nice Honda CB400A Hondamatic. Other health issues (mental and physical) however deteriorated and I had to stop riding with the last time my bike was on the road was in 2003.
Today I got it out of long term storage with the intention to fight my demons by trying to ride again. At first I was excited loading it onto the trailer but back home I was quickly shot down in flames as just sitting on it causes immense hip pain. This was one of the reasons why I stopped riding in 2003. I had previously bought (from USA) a comfort / "king and queen" type seat but that makes no difference to the hip pain whether that or original seat is fitted.
Forward foot pegs MIGHT help but (a) there isn't any frame to attach them to (b) positioning my left leg so it is at a better angle means my foot is moved outwards by crankcase and that again causes hip pain.
Before I finally accept that I can't ride my CB400A again has anyone suggestions on what I could possibly alter things so I can eliminate the hip pain ?

Thanks.

Paul H,
Werrington,
Stoke-on-Trent,
Staffs

Post subject: Re: Hip problem
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 00:39 am 
Hurricane

I'm not sure that you can eliminate it entirely but there are things that will help.

On my Kwak GT550 I have touring pegs attached to the engine bars - I'll try and find a picture. I have to move my right leg back to use the rear brake as mine's now a trike but as yours is still a bike that may not be much of a problem.

I had a lovely comfy king & queen seat but I found it made matters worse as I couldn't sit far enough back to get a bit of extra leg room, so I've gone back to the original dual seat but the thing that's made a huge difference to me is a gel seat pad - the one I have is made by a company that does gel pads for medical applications so they are high quality.

This mine http://www.danmedicasouth.co.uk/product/motorcycle-gel-seat-pad/ but they do other types, also an air pad but I have no idea whether that would help.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 18:01 pm 
Apprentice

I have problems with my left hip, which is basically now fused. Because of this I have to go for a type of bike that is 'thin' and 'low'.

In the main these are cruiser type of bikes.

My problem is that I have limited 'gait' movement, so doing the splits is a complete no-no. :lol:

I have forward facing footpegs fitted and use a kliktronic gear changer, which makes it a lot more comfortable for me.

For me the Honda CB400A would be too wide for me to be comfortable on.

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 19:59 pm 
Hurricane

King & Queen seats are usually wider and more padded than standard seats so you need to spread your legs more to reach the floor.
You would probably be better off with a standard seat that has been reshaped and recovered to be lower and narrower so you don't have to open your legs as wide to reach the floor.
Do you have any good side on pictures of your bike?
Ideally pictures around the front engine mounts, lots of forward controls are fitted off the front engine mounts where there is a lack of frame and space to bolt stuff on.
Sometimes you can alter the original front mounts to take forwards, or just make new engine plates with extra bits on to take them.
Have you considered fitting a sidecar? You still get to ride your bike but you don't have to put your feet down until you get off.
Is the CB 400A based on a Superdream? They were big, wide, bikes for their engine size so that could be against you.
One way around that would be to have a single top tube fitted with new seat rails so you can fit a smaller custom tank and smaller seat but essentially keep the main character of your bike.
Don't give up yet, there is plenty that can be done to make your bike work for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 21:01 pm 
Hurricane

Another way to get your bike more user friendly for you might be to lower it a little.
If you fit shorter rear shocks and drop the forks through the yokes it may make standing up on the bike easier.
If your rear shocks are 320mm eye to eye then try some 310mm or 300mm ones and drop the forks 5mm to 10mm.
Small things like that are easy to do and can make a big difference.
It depends on what yokes you have, some had a pressed steel top yoke and you can't adjust fork height with those, some had clamp on yokes so you could drop the forks with those.
Shorter rear shocks should be do able either way though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 22:22 pm 
Apprentice

I think it is a case of trying to adapt the bike so as it is as close as possible to the right ergonomics for comfort.

Starting from what sitting position is comfortable for you and what can be done to the bike to fit that position as close as possible.

There is usually a solution.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 08:45 am 
Windbag

If you really want to go down this road, there is a company in Chichester called "Bum Wraps" that made a suitable saddle for my Kawasaki EN500-A1 some years back.

It didn't stop the hip pain, but it did allow me around 50K, before it crippled me and I had to stop.

I don't ride any longer due to the Arthritis "going Body-wide', and causing other problems that are more difficult to surmount.

Good Luck!