Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 06:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 21:52 pm 

Hi All

Firstly I'd just like to say Hi!

I'm 40 and own a 1997 VFR 750. My wife also has a Yamaha R6.

I have started to have pain in my right bum cheek and top of my hip/groin whilst driving. I assumed that it was just the fact I was a bit unfit. So I thought I'd buy a pushbike and get fit and surely my hip pain would get better. Although my fitness got better, my hip pain got worse, so I took a visit to my doctor and she thought it was hip tendonitis so put me on a two month waiting list whilst I wait for a Physio appt. So eventually I get my appt and have quite a thorough check/test and said that although you have 'early wear and tear' that she'd be able to get me back to a pain free state. I got handed a leaflet which said 'Osteoarthritis of the hip' :-0 I had no idea.
I had some exercises given to me to do once or twice a day.

The next day I was collecting my new £2000 pushbike :-/ arrrrghhh I've still not ridden it :-(

I had another session in two weeks, I was unsure if the exercises are making me worse :-/ I seem to now have more range of movement however the pain throughout the rest of the day is more and also more often too.
My physio is now on meternity leave so I've now had another 1month wait whilst I get another physio.

Whilst I wait until I for this appt i went back to the docs to see if I could be refered for an X-ray which she relectantly let me have. I've now waited over four weeks for my results :-/

I forgot to mention that about 10 years or so ago I had a motorcycle accident and was hit on the right side (same side as my hip problems) and had very bad soft tissue injuries, however due to not having a X-ray as my wife's injury was priority she was strapped to a spinal board etc and I got straight up. Interestingly and luckily she doesn't suffer with any injuries and runs half marathons etc.

So I'm not sure if any of this is the root cause or not?

So I'm not sure what to do now. I do know that my wife's bike causes less pain in my hip, maybe due to the fact I have more weight on my wrists etc and am at more of a tilted forward angle?

Do I change my bike VFR to a R1 etc?

Thanks in advance

Richard

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 07:18 am 
Windbag

Hi Richard,

I was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis n 1993, and was treated to the "F*ck off and Die treatment ", of the NHS!

It's true to say that the condition is incurable, and that it strikes any previous accident "weakness". The NHS only offered me "options", of learn to manage the pain, without medication, and ride for a few more years, OR, take medication, get befuddled, and have a short life, but a merry one!

I haven't consulted a doctor on this condition in 12 years now, no point, when he tells you, "Sorry, there is noting I can do"! Some days the pain is so bad you get to the point, were you think "What's the point"! Most days, you learn to cope, not 'manage', with the pain, and at least have some life.

My O-A started in my left hip and groin, (the opposite to yours, we could be a matched pair!), and it spread, (it takes about 10 years), and there is nothing that can be done to stop that spread!

By 2003, I had it in more than 5 of the major joint groups, and the condition was now "Poly-arthritis, a mixture of Osteo and Rheumatoid", it was at this point that the hospital told me, that there was nothing they could do to cure the condition, and it was up to me to manage the pain as best i could, or spend my days semi comatose! Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but, it's the truth!

So! What's the future prospects?

You do what you do, while you can! Some days you will ride 100 miles, the next only 10, it's totally up to you! But on terms of discomfort, you will 'pay' for those rides, dearly.

Strangely, the "Mediterranean Diet", with lots of olive oil, and "Zero Impact Exercise", (I have one of those power driven sets of exercise pedals), works for me! You have to keep the joins mobile, but not cause wear and tear, hence "0 impact". Sadly there are no rule books, and you will try many things before you find what works for you.

Bikes: You will try all types of Bikes and Trikes, until you find one the suits your condition, only to sell it on when the condition changes! My old riding buddy was diagnosed ten years after me, and since 2003 he has had 4 bikes, and a trike, and is currently back on two wheels rather than 3. What I'm saying is there will be no one bike that suits, play it as you see it at the time! What's good for Joe Bloggs may crucify you, so make your own choices after trying them, as nobody else's condition will be exactly the same as yours! When you find one that is really close to what you need then go for adaptions. For me, that was the Cruiser , "Laid back, feet forward, with a back rest, ala Easy Rider"

I don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom, but I can truthfully say: "Here I am after 22 years, still standing , and walking, just, and enjoying what life that I can! I don't ride any more, but, how many do at age 70!"

Life ain't over, till it's over!

Regards

T

PS Osteoarthritis can be diagnosed with a simple blood test, as was mine! Don't let them mess you up with all the other crap!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:31 am 
Hurricane

hello and welcome

Its not a muscular problem then is it? I massaged my buttock with a tennis ball once and that really helped.

It all sounds pretty rotten.

Dik

Great name btw!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 14:56 pm 

Hi T
Thanks for the advice on your similar condition.
You've given me a lot to think about and consider.
It's good to know that I'm not alone in these problems. (Not that I'd want anyone else to have it) but even that does help.
I'll have a think and I'll also let you k ow how I get on and what my X-ray results come back like.
Thanks again
Richard.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 15:01 pm 

Hi Hurricane
Thanks for the support.
I thought it was muscle/tendon type of issues first.
But after the Pysio did their assessment I could tell that when the joint got to the end of the movement that it didn't have any more give (like a rubber band) like the other side did.
I have a bit less movement in the left hip than I should but it's not as bad as the right side.
Thanks
Richard.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 07:06 am 
Windbag

Hi Dik,

Yes, it is pretty rotten! But it's only as rotten as you want it to be!

I know a lady with it who walks her Dog, every day, rain or shine, and conversely I know another, who is a mass of braces, and supports, and a wheel chair! They both were diagnosed around the same time, and are both roughly the same age. So in theory should have roughly similar abilities, but they don't! One always tries, the other won't!

It's mainly, but not all, a matter of Attitude! AND! You will be surprised at the number of fellow sufferers out there! I live in a small cul de sac, on a very ordinary Council estate, and I know at least 4 neighbours with it, of all differing ages, and one is a teenager! (no respecter of age is this "Beast"!)

A lot of the problems you have, are ones of attitude towards the condition!

Adopt a "Woe is me, did I deserve this" attitude, and it will be rough!

Have a "I can do this!" one, and your body is the judge and tells you "No you can't!" and you regroup, and try another way!

But I can only urge you, Richard, to get the "Whitecoats", to do the O-A blood test, to be certain!

Terry

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 16:04 pm 

Cheers Terry :-)
Yes I can see what you're saying there.
I suppose that's the same for a lot of injury/disabilities you've got to make the best of what you have.
Ta
Richard

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 22:50 pm 
Hurricane

I have OA of the hips and my right one is very bad at present because of changes in my medication. But there ARE meds you can take without becoming a zombie! For years I took Ibuprofen then when that wasn't strong enough I went onto Diclofenac, and when that wasn't enough my GP added Paracetamol - paracetamol had previously done nothing at all for me on its own but it worked much better in combination with the diclofenac.

None of those are the kind of drugs that make you befuddled, and they DO help with the pain! And the better you can control the pain, the more you can move the joints, which is the only thing that really helps - this is because if you don't use them, the muscles get soft and it's much harder to get them back once they've gone - I'm trying to do that at present because I had 3 months of not doing much cos of a heart attack (which is also the reason why my meds have been changed)

They are also all 'over the counter' stuff that you can buy in a pharmacy if your GP won't prescribe it (which is the way I'm probably going to go) but you should be able to get it from your GP _ buy some, try it, if it helps then go to the GP and ask for it.

I also have OA in my thumbs, my knees, my left foot, my shoulders, and possibly my spine. I'm 'only' 68 but I rode 50 miles on my trike the other night! And I've just spent a weekend camping with a lot of bikers though it was too far to ride and I went in the car - it's taking me a week to get over it but it was worth it!

BTW the blood test is not definitive for OA, it only shows whether or not you have Rheumatoid arthritis and if you don't, then you must have Osteoarthritis.

And there does seem to be a very real problem with a lot of health professional thinking that OA is just a few aches and pains now and then - probably caused by people who moan a lot when they really do only have a few aches! But it really is worth going to your GP and saying that you've heard these can help and can you try them, or trying them yourself as I said.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 04:44 am 
Windbag

Very true BikerGran, but they have unacceptable side effects, and are also known to be habit forming!

From the official info sheet on Ibruprofen:

"The frequency of these side-effects is unknown
indigestion
kidney problems
skin or hypersensitivity problems - these may include allergic reactions, anaphylaxis, asthma or worsening of asthma, bronchospasm, breathing difficulties, skin rash, itching, urticaria, unexplained or easy bruising of the skin or mucous membranes, angioedema, erythema multiforme or necrolysis. Seek medical advice if you develop any signs of a hypersensitivity reaction
stomach pain
worsening of peptic ulcers!

From the official info sheet on Diclofenac:

"You should not use diclofenac if you have a history of allergic reaction to aspirin or NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
Diclofenac may increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term or have heart disease. Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG). Diclofenac may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are taking this medicine."

The official info sheet on Paracetamol:

"a rash or swelling – this could be a sign of an allergic reaction
hypotension (low blood pressure) when given in hospital by infusion (a continuous drip of medicine into a vein in your arm)
liver and kidney damage, when taken at higher-than-recommended doses (overdose)
In extreme cases the liver damage that can result from a paracetamol overdose can be fatal."

No, they don't make you befuddled, and yes, they do help with the pain, but look at the side effects they offer!

Perhaps that's why they changed your meds!

Thanks, but No Thanks!

The whole point is that Richard has to be aware of all of this information, and then choose his own way to deal with the condition!

I chose zero impact joint exercises to prevent muscle wastage, and diet options to control my pain, You chose the medication route, nothing wrong with either, but the choice is Richard's to make.

Big T

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:59 am 
Junior

Osteoartritis of the spine here, with the distinct likelihood of is spreading to the hips in the near future.

As much as you hear horror stories about long-term opiate use, I'm managing to be nicely not-a-zombie and still road-safe on them (Ninety percent of the time - there's always going to be a day where the PRN over the slow-release is enough to turn you into a pumpkin, but those are the days where you put the cricket on the radio, load up Ebay, and write it off) and the DVLA are really clear now on the rules for driving-on-medication, and allow it within what you're precribed and as long as you're not "impaired" ie zombified. After a couple of years on them, the wobbly-stonedy side effects have completely gone away, but they're still just as effective as painkillers (Best not to ask about my digestive tract though).

Try anything and everything - See if you can get your doctor to let you trial out different pain management strategies a month at a time, so you can balance out pain-free and concious. If you do get an NSAID, demand a PPI (Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, etc) to protect your stomach lining - Basically, it stops you from producing as much acid, so you won't get as much heartburn and are much less likely to get an ulcer.

I know everyone will be telling you this, but budgetting is the key thing. So (eg) if Monday is a long ride and cooking a three-course meal for two dozen guests at the end of it, Tuesday and Wednesday are reading a series of novels and doing the laundry. If you rest up properly between "big tasks" you shouldn't get as much of the cumulative horror as quickly.

Can you find a way of getting a heat pack onto it when riding? It might not be universal, but I find that really heating up the bits that hurt makes them hurt less, especially if they're sore because they're bearing weight or tensed. Getting more weight up onto your arms might be a good avenue to look up as well.

Sorry, it's a sod of a diagnosis.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 15:25 pm 
Hurricane

Big T said
Quote:
Diclofenac may increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term or have heart disease......Perhaps that's why they changed your meds!

Of course you're right BigT and that IS why they changed my meds - but I'm now on Naproxen which is also an nsaid, and has only slightly less of the cardiac effect, but (for me) about a third as useful as a painkiller, if that! Which is why I intend to go back on the diclofenac as soon as I can - not much point in being alive if you can't do anything! I've had OA for many years and long got past the point where I could choose not to medicate, if I want to be able to do anything at all - even cook a meal or get up the stairs - I need painkillers.

As you say, it's entirely a personal choice, and I choose a short life and a merry one!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 06:12 am 
Windbag

One last comment!

My Wife has OA as well, diagnosed '76, so close on 40 years now, she gets quite a lot of benefit from Belladonna patches from the chemists! Over the counter, and off prescription.

We all deal with it in the way it suits us best, and what we learn by talking about it. Richard has made that first step!

Good luck one and all! Have a Good one!

Big T

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 23:57 pm 

Thanks all for the replies! :D
Sorry I've not been on for a while to answer any posts.
I've decided that our road pushbikes are not for us :cry: and will now be selling them. I don't like the idea of being too far away from home and not making it back home.
So I will put the funds towards a bike that is more comfortable for me and have joined my wife's gym so I can do some gentle non high-impact exercises ie recumbent bike etc (don't worry I used to be a gym instructor many years ago so know what I'm doing) just got to keep away from the powerlifting :oops:
I think I'll try one of those airhawk seats too. Anyone use them for OA?
I'll let you all know how I'm doing and let you know what the doc says about my X-ray results.
Cheers
Richard

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 00:48 am 
Hurricane

I have a gel seat on my trike - not the same as the airhawk but does a similar job I guess - I couldn't ride without it!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 06:42 am 
Windbag

Sorry! No! My last bike had a custom made seat from Bum Wraps! down in Chichester.