Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heated grips
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 23:58 pm 
Junior

There seem to be about a dozen different models from Oxford alone, with reviews ranging from "Perfect, love them, like a holiday in the South Seas for my hands" to "Complete tripe, flattened the battery and were a pain to install" for every model out there. So I'm stumped as to what's suitable.

I'm wanting them for a Suzuki GZ125 (Marauder), '05 manufacture, seems to be a 12v, 6amp battery.

What've you all got, do they work, are they worth it and what're you running them on? And how easy will it be for a complete muggins to fit them?

Not sure if this is an adaption, technically, but my Reynaud's is currently bad enough that I don't think I'll be able to overwinter without some kind of circulation-saving device.

Any other suggestions, from the sublime to the ridiculous, would also be welcomed :)

Post subject: Re: Heated grips
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 15:51 pm 
Hurricane

The problem with heated grips, I find, is your palms get hot and the backs of your hands are freezing.

The 'wind chill' is what makes your hands cold, so much better to fit wind deflectors to stop the wind getting to your hands.

Vic

http://www.nabd.org.uk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 17:58 pm 
Junior

I was thinking of that - Especially with Reynaud's, since the blood vessels contract the second they get chilly, so having warm fingers but cold knuckles and backs of hands would be no help. (Plus, deflectors do seem to be cheaper than grips, and I'd not have to worry about flattening the battery).

Cheers :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 18:14 pm 
Hurricane

I have circulation problems myself and from my point of view, with heated grips, my palms would be burning and the back of my hands freezing... I've never tried heated gloves, but they seem very expensive.

I've fitted wind guards and my hands were never that cold again (I'm not saying they were warm though lol). I know these guards don't look very good, but sod looks, I want feelable fingers lol.

Vic

http://www.nabd.org.uk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 22:41 pm 
Hurricane

I know people who say heated gloves are good but DON'T buy the cheap ones from Maplin! They will either not work or burn your hands!

I've solved the problem by not riding in winter.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 23:06 pm 
Junior

I remember seeing someone a few years ago who was using two of those square plastic milk bottles and fleece pillowcasey-things as impromptu handguards, and distinctly thinking that there was something far more impressive about going for the kind of ride where you needed to give up on looks in favour of safety, than never going further than the morning commute all winter because having warm hands looked daggy.

Definitely tempted by heated gloves as well, if I can find ones that fit and are attached to me rather than off the bike's battery - I used to have a heated bodywarmer that ran off a little 9v battery in the pocket and lasted for years.

After going the full length of the A19 earlier on this week, I can see myself with the full caboodle (Heated grips, heated gloves, windsields, sleeve garters, manservant in a side car blasting a hairdryer over my knuckles...) before trying to get home for Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 00:44 am 
Hurricane

Good for you - I should say in my defence that I've done the winter riding thing, I'm just getting a bit old for it now.

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 01:04 am 
Junior

Thank you :D

Honestly, this is my first year with the bike, so if in a month's time you see me back here with my hands welded to a hot cup of tea and frantically googling cheap train tickets, I've come to a similar conclusion as you have...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:31 am 
Hurricane

When I was first riding I was working rotating shifts, about 10 miles from home. One winter night I was standing outside the back door at work having a ciggie and someone going home said "Aren't you cold? Oh no I forgot, you're a biker, you don't feel it till it's 15 below"

Not quite true but there was something in it.

Scariest thing was riding round the M25 one March morning, seeing my junction coming up and realising 'help, I've got to make my hand work the clutch lever! '

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 18:45 pm 
Junior

Jesus! I had something similar coming down a slip road last week - Thankfully got into a pub with a fire and started warming up, and when I got out of my leather it turned out that the shoulder had dislocated, but I'd been so cold I'd not noticed.

Unsure whether the bikes make people hardy, or if only cold-tolerant people get into bikes in the first place, but you're right that there's a grain of truth in it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 09:13 am 
Hurricane

I've tried muffs but found they can cause problems with levers, heated gloves allowed me to ride in the winter and that's the option I would go for.

The best ones operate from the bike battery with leads down the sleeves and a simple plug connection to the battery, there will be a controller to set to the optimum temperature too. Rechargeable battery operated ones are not very good if you want to ride any distance and obviously lose the efficiency as the battery runs down.

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:18 am 
Hurricane

Off road handguards are worth a look.
It's mainly the wind chill that gets your hands cold so handguards deflect the wind but don't cover your hands like muffs.
I used to work with a guy that couldn't bear wearing gloves, he had handguards and rode in all weathers and all seasons without gloves, I wouldn't recommend no gloves but it was his choice.
Muffs work but need a frame inside to keep them off your hands.
I'd try handguards first then muffs over the handguards if you need more warmth.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Universal- ... SwOdpXxvgv
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-Motor ... SwQJhUfMvL
There are lots of different styles I have just found a couple that might be of interest.
They are just wind and light brush deflectors but you can get heavy brushguards if you prefer with a metal brace under the plastic for extra strength.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Reinfor ... z5zuatUMdg