Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 20:28 pm 
Apprentice

Hi (Sorry I first posted this in Legs before realising this area is more suited)
I usually find what I'm looking for on this site so I haven't asked many questions even though I am a member of NABD. My disability / mobility is becoming worse and no disrespect is meant to Trike Riders but I do enjoy riding my GL1500 as a bike although I have always felt I will have to end up with a trike.

I recently saw legup stabilisers and then found others as well as the page from NABD saying they had not yet tested the viability of a drop down stabiliser. I was really hoping that this page was out of date and someone on the site would have the answers to my questions:

1. Is their a company in the UK selling these?
2. Are they difficult to fit?
3. Can anyone give me any information?

Hope to hear from someone soon.
Ride safe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 17:14 pm 
Hurricane

Although drop down stabilisers have been fitted it's not something we, the NABD, will advise on as there are still inherent safety factors we are concerned with.

Any advice given by members is not to be taken as endorsed by NABD

Research for the NABD

The facts expressed in my posts belong to everybody, the opinions belong to me. The distinction is yours to draw

FuocoRider.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 17:26 pm 
Apprentice

OK Thanks.
I did spend all last night searching these and eventually found problems of the sensor over heating and the stabilizers activating at any speed. Imagine that on a corner. Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 14:33 pm 
Gale Force

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6163#p46930

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 17:40 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks Wheels-UK

Really interesting post not just for the stabilisers but for the wheelchair mount to.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 18:05 pm 
Apprentice

Hi
can you explain how the wheelchair mount works I presume it locks on to the axle of the wheelchair somehow?

Also would you advise where you are getting your actuators from.

Really good videos much easier to understand when you see them working, wonder how they'd hold up on a goldwing. I think space for mounting them would be the issue.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 16:16 pm 
Gale Force

Hi, just seen this.
The wheelchair mount was posted by 'Dino' and not me so cant really say although it looks to me like the 'bolt' on one side is spring loaded and will be using the axel on the wheelchair as you say.
The original actuator I have in the post came from http://www.hollinapplications.co.uk/ and I've since bought a larger one although not gotten round to having it fitted yet.
I'm sure if you gave him a ring he'd be more than pleased to talk you through what size you may need for a larger bike.

Think it would be a problem finding somewhere to attach an actuator to a Goldwing?
I remember years ago seeing a Goldwing on YouTube that had wheels fitted on the back. They retracted up into where the panniers are so weren't visable once moving. Trouble was it was in America and the company doing it were charging around five grand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJfsH_druU

There's also a company in Germany doing the same sort of thing although they use a pneumatic system and not electrical. http://www.koeltgen.de/index.php?id=mot ... tslaehmung