Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 02:46 am 
Typhoon Tubby

Right then, following on from a bit of a discussion in another thread I'm going to give you my take on writing articles for publication in Open House or any other magazine for that matter.

Not that I'm all that good at it or had much published.

It's a good idea to sit and have a think about what you want to say and jot some notes down on a pad.
Do the research on the subject matter and keep it to hand for reference.

If you are writing for Open House it's safe to say you need to set your Word program to Ariel font and to size 11 point.
This is the recognised standard used by most publications as it is considered as one of the easiest to read. It is vital that the article is spell checked in UK English as other versions may not have the correct language setting and it makes for more work for the hard-pressed editors to get through.

Once you have decided on the subject it's a good idea to find out how long a submission is acceptable to your magazine of choice as too long winded an article will be set aside by some editors. The same can be said for articles that are too short.

Most people find writing a daunting task and feel intimidated by it.
The most valuable piece of advice I have ever been given is to write as though you are telling a story to a mate over a drink. For that I'll always be grateful to Rick, as it has transformed the way I write all my articles.

The other thing to remember is that is not a race and some articles may take weeks before they are of a standard that may be published, I have at least ten pieces of work on the go at the moment all in various states of disrepair and chaos.

I often get into a train of thought and start to write and something will distract me and I hit the wall.
Sometimes a short break will be enough to get the creative juices flowing again but occasionally I need to walk away for a few days to rethink the structure, language and content of my article.

Bear in mind you need to make sure the subject matter is relevant to the publication you are approaching to have your work printed in. An article on a rally or booze up you and a mate went to would not be relevant unless the NABD were at the event or the event benefits the association in some way.
Given this is the NABD forum I will be concentrating on submissions for Open house in this particular thread.

If you are submitting an article on an adaptation you have done or had fitted it should normally be about 650 words along with any pictures you may want to send in support of your article. The text can be emailed to the editor but any pictures you want to send need to be burned to CD or send original photos with your article. It’s also a good idea to include your text on the CD in case it gets overlooked in the email.
Make sure you use the subject line when sending emails so the spam filters in use do not dump your work in the junk mail box.
If you do send original photos with an article and you want them back it’s an idea to send a stamped addressed envelope so the editor can put then back in the post for you once they have scanned them for printing. (I stand to be corrected on this point Rick; I just think it’s a good idea.)

There are no guarantees that an article will be published immediately or at all in some cases. The Open house is a quarterly publication and space in the magazine is at a premium so the editors must make choices about what sort of article gets published.
I have had several that never saw the light of day when I first started out.
If you feel the article is relevant but time sensitive it may be an idea to mention this in your email or letter included with your article, once again there are no guarantees but it doesn’t hurt to mention it.

I know Rick mentioned in Open House 58 that he would look at articles folk may send in if they are unsure and make suggestions and offer advice on how to write and present articles for publication.
I know Rick is snowed under with work on the national rally at the moment and I am prepared to assist any of you with your articles with advice on presentation and setting your word programs up so that once it is sent to Rick or Yvonne the only need to edit the content to suit the magazine and do not need to spend valuable time on spell checking and correcting grammar.

It’s not the easiest thing to do this article writing, but then again it’s not rocket science either and most people with a bit of help and encouragement should be able to write an article that would be of use.

If any of you need a bit of friendly advice on how to write an article for Open House please feel free to contact me via PM or email and I’ll do my best to help you write something without you getting stressed out or giving up altogether. Remember, it’s just like chatting to your mates or family except your using your fingers, or in my case two index fingers. There is no shame in asking for advice, in fact I admire those who ask for help when they need it instead of trying to bodge something you won’t be happy with together.

I’m offering my help as a way of thanking a good mate who offered me the same help a few years ago and set me off on my career as a part time scribe. I still turn to him for advice about articles when I need it and believe me I need it more often than not.
It’s also a good way to make sure what you write reads properly before submission so that you are not disappointed that something you took hours to write is not overlooked.

This is 1099 words long and took me an hour to write, it could stand an edit but for the object of this particular exercise it will have to do

Regards

Gary

https://www.facebook.com/grumpygarage/?ref=bookmarks

Any views or opinions expressed within this post are those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those of the NABD.
:-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 16:44 pm 
Hurricane

TerrorTubby is quite correct in almost everything he said in the previous post (I should have thought about doing this sort of thread myself a long time ago).
Perhaps one of our moderator people can make this thread sticky so people can refer to it and ask questions on it about submitting articles.
Just to clarify the situation about submitting photos:
1. Original photos can only be returned 'after' the magazine has been printed, in case we need to rescan them due to technical problems.

2. We cannot use photos printed on normal paper. Nor can we use copies done on photo paper unless they are done as high quality prints on a laser printer.

3. Photos can be submitted on CD but scans must be 300ppi minimum.

4. If photos are saved as .jpeg they should be saved at the highest quality.

5. photos should not be put on CD in 'windows folders' as the MAC operating system doesn't recognise the folders.

One the subject of the text:
We do not throw submissions in the bin due to bad spelling or poor punctuation. The editor can put that right for you.
Hand written submissions are accepted, but only if we can read them.

Now to more general points:

The first thing to remember is that the Open House magazine is not a 'Club Newsletter' (this forum serves that purpose better).
The primary function of the Open House magazine is as a showcase for the work and aims of the NABD, and to be a source of information regarding the activities of the NABD.

In another thread mention was made of articles or submissions not being used in Open House. I have no intention of discussing an individual case but here are 10 reasons why many submissions don't get used.

1. We will not use submissions that are too long. Some people send us articles that run to four or five pages, we simply cannot give that much space to one article or project. (We do occasionally split an article over several issues, but these are articles we have requested).

2. We do not use submissions, which in our opinion have no relationship to motorcycling and/or disability unless we have asked somebody to write on a particular issue.

3. We will not use event or rally reports unless they are events directly involving the NABD.

4. Generally submissions have more chance of publication if supported by a few photos. But we will not use badly taken or poor quality photos so the accompanying article may also be dumped.

5. We will not use submissions, which denigrate or criticise people or groups (unless we believe it to be in the best interest of the NABD members and the facts are backed with evidence).

6. We will not use articles that are too short (unless it is a news snippet). Even a short article should be a minimum of 300 words and a couple of photos.
News articles can be as brief as you like so long as the relevant details are included.

7. We never use anonymous submissions.

8. We will not use submissions with any offensive language.

9. Submissions containing business advertising will not be used (other than those that are requested by us).

10. Submissions are used 'as and when' we have space available. If the submission contains 'time-sensitive' information it is less likely to be used.

The fact is we can give no guarantee that any submission will be used because there are many pressures on time and available space.
If you make a submission, which doesn't get used, don't take it personally.
Generally 90% of the magazine is used for showcasing the work of the NABD and passing on information to members that is deemed important by the Trustees.

We do like to include interesting and/or entertaining submissions from members but this is not the primary function of the Open House.

I hope this information is of use/interest and I will happily answer any questions regarding Open House submissions, though as I sad earlier I will not get involved, on a public forum, in explaining why any individual submission wasn't used.

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, criticise those who do. (NABD Chairman - 2008)

Rick Hulse
National Chairman

Post subject: Open House
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 21:26 pm 
Apprentice

Cud i write one ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 21:44 pm 
Junior

very understandable

on the subject of cd's its not only macs that cant read certain cd formats / folders.

my photos for classic bike magazine are sent via a usb pen which they then return.

the pens are reusable and just as cheap as a cd to send by mail.

just a little tip.

it only gets expensive if the recipient doesnt return the pen so always sent a prepaid envelope.

im not suggesting you send loads of pictures as a 4 gig pen will store so many pictures it will slow the systems down.

ok still on the subject of images jpeg raw is better it gives much more editing power ( much bigger file size though )

or at least iso 400 standard so croping wont reduce the image quality
and yes it is true bigger is better in megapixels anyway.

on the subject of the article ALWAYS take names and references to names nobody likes to have the wrong name printed.

try to be factual i had a little discusion with a certain member of MCN a few days ago who takes the attitude its only a story, i take the attitude its part of someones life not a selling point.

ok ive waffled on enough

oh one last thing ive a photo shoot with john from frome on his trike in a couple of weeks time, we have a model aranged and i will be forwarding it to open house so i will be putting my money where my mouth is.

Last edited by davej on Sat Aug 02, 2008 21:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Open House
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 21:47 pm 
Typhoon Tubby

Charlenedarlene wrote:
Cud i write one ?

Anyone can write an article for Open House. In fact anyone can write if they put their mind to it. If I can get published then anyone can.

Write it up and if you like I'll give it a read before you send it in to the Editor.
At the moment that would be Rick, our chairman, his contact address for email is on the main website.

Go for it, you may surprise youself, I know I did. :wink:

Gary

Any views or opinions expressed within this post are those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those of the NABD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 08:04 am 
Hurricane

Gren asked Caroline to write an article covering The Trossachs 3. It is nearly complete. When does it need to be submitted by? Deadline date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 16:58 pm 
Typhoon Tubby

williamv1203 wrote:
Gren asked Caroline to write an article covering The Trossachs 3. It is nearly complete. When does it need to be submitted by? Deadline date?

Just send any submissions to Rick at the office.
As with most articles unless it was specifically asked for by the editor it'll go in the queue and will be published as and when it gets to the top of the list.

Once Caroline has finished it send it to chaiman@thenabd.org.uk, if you are sending pictures with it it's best done on a disc with the pictures as high a resolution as you can burn. If it's on a disc you can burn the word document to that so they arrive together.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 07:59 am 
Hurricane

Terrortubby wrote:
williamv1203 wrote:

Just send any submissions to Rick at the office.
As with most articles unless it was specifically asked for by the editor it'll go in the queue and will be published as and when it gets to the top of the list.

Once Caroline has finished it send it to chaiman@thenabd.org.uk, if you are sending pictures with it it's best done on a disc with the pictures as high a resolution as you can burn. If it's on a disc you can burn the word document to that so they arrive together.

Hope that helps.

Thanks TT.
Got a phone call from Gren last night. Spoke about this, among other things.
Deadline for next upcoming issue of O.H. is gone. Will get it all in for next issue. Waiting on pics of Trossachs 3 from Mick O, then we'll send all on a CD to H.O.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 pm 
Major Windbag

Hi being new to the forum and a new member to NABD can someone please meail me an old copy of open house so i can see what types of subjects are covered many thanks & all the best

sheep

Sean Farrell Stives , Cornwall Rep (not Stives, Cambridgshire :D )

http://kernowkards.wix.com/riders

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:24 pm 
Gale Force

sheep wrote:
Hi being new to the forum and a new member to NABD can someone please meail me an old copy of open house so i can see what types of subjects are covered many thanks & all the best

sheep

http://www.openhousemagazine.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 09:01 am 
Hurricane

thats a fantastic link, i never knew about it! thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 16:47 pm 
Major Windbag

Thanks Wheels :D

Sean Farrell Stives , Cornwall Rep (not Stives, Cambridgshire :D )

http://kernowkards.wix.com/riders