Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 17:24 pm 

after buying my first trike last july its become a bit of a love/hate relationship with it,there is too many things that have been replaced or fixed to list & to do but im a patient person,Due to several health issues that have been ongoing since 2011 was the main reason for change,Anyway having not rode it for a couple of months & its M.O.T luming i began to potter & check all was well so off i went, IT PASSED great i thought thats a great sign for this year ahead.Anyway unfortunatly a biker friend had recently passed away so i was to be part of a great run to take him on his final journey,It started on the way to a meeting point when the bar attached to my gear lever dropped its bolt while i was in 4th i managed to pull over & was given a cable tie which got me to the car park to my surprise a mate happened to have nut & bolt in his pocket with tools as well.What a total star great i can now continue,Oh yea the weather was very crap so we all set off approaching a small hill the trike cut out refusing to start again some very kind bikers pushed us to a safe place to pull over i called my recovery & sat watching as the procession passed by eventually the help arrived & managed to get me going by this time i was very cold wet & pissed off so decided to try and make it home only got a small distance when i heard a metalic sound i looked down to realise the footrest for the gears had decided to bounce down the road so i pulled over & proceded to try & find it,Lucky for me the recovery driver was not far behind i looked to the sky & hoped he was having a good laugh.Now can someone please tell me that im not the only one this sort of thing happens to PLEASE,Needless to say me & the trike are not on speaking terms at the moment :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 19:18 pm 
Gale Force

Just goes to show you, the MOT doesn't mean everything is hunky dorey :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 21:37 pm 
Hurricane

Nom you're not alone at all! I limped to a rally on mine with oil coming out of the diff, called the RAC on the Sunday, van came out, said he thought they could fix it, he called another van. The two of them spent 3½ hours working on it, got me to ride it up and down the road and pronounced it fixed.

25 miles down the road it was worse than when they started, I pulled into a petrol station and called RAC again, told them their repair had failed and needed recovery. About an hour later, a van arrived again. The bloke looked at it and said "they told me it was a car with a bodywork problem". Luckily he was sensible and called for recovery straight away, told me it would only be half an hour.

I'm female, got osteoarthritis, was on my own (petrol station office wasn't large enough to wait in), I was getting cold and the wind was getting up and getting dark - an hour later the recovery truck turned up. He had one of those satnavs that take you down all the narrowest country lanes, in the end I was telling him which way to go. I got home about 11pm - it was only 100 miles from the rally to home!

Ok that's more about the RAC than the trike but it FELT the same!

I daren't ask where your trike was built!

Bobbi White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 08:06 am 
Hurricane

Hello and welcome to the forum.

My first trike was pretty much like that as well.

I loved it so much I 'invested' a lot of money into a decent motorbike trike and the love affair continued.

Like you, the frustration of being worried after riding 100 yards was too much for me.