Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 21:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:24 pm 

After 18 months of testing
the conclussion is the EFM auto clutch for big twin harleys does not work

Firstly after paying for the clutch to be installed i found it ratteld on first gear pull away
Gary at EFM told me that was normal due to the ball bearing being lose

on testing locally i found at round abouts the bike would not pull away

then eventully while rdng some 15 miles from home the bike stopped pulling

Gary told me i had burnt the clutch plates out ii argued this and he agreed to post me new kevlar clutch plates
these I installed and followed the install instructions to the letter but there was no way of having a gap between the EFM clutch and the first clutch plate of 0.49 - 0.59 as the clutch would not tighten down enough

I reported this to Gary who asked how many clutch plates i had I told him 9 plates and 8 steels as supplied by him ( Gary@ EFM)
Gary told me i should have 10 plates and 9 steels to my shock why were these not supplied in the first place or installed in the clutch he supplied after all i paid for a completed unit

I purchused a KEVLAR extra plate clutch and installed it now being able to set the gap required

Test was great bke moved wth touch of throtle no rattle and on short runs perfect
lfe was good
the n the main test a run to felixstowe duel carridge way all the way as i only live 1 mile from the carridge way
ride there at 70 miles an hour top gear
everything perfect arrived rode through town parked everything great no problems at lghts stopped no clutch required pulled away perfect

Ride home great until i pulled down slip road of the carridge way lights were on red at round about went down gears using clicktroninc gear changer bike kept pulling had use strong brake pressure to stop and clutch was requred stopped bike was pulling on tick over
following slow movng traffic pike was pulliing in second gear had to use brakes and clutch to control
arrived home was a very difficut last mile riding

ok not to be done i readjusted the clutch and tested again with the same results
and a thrd time wth the same problems

I emailed Garry at EFM emails below
Hi Gary ,

bike Harley Fatbob

i have nearly come to the end of the road with the clutch
I have set it up using the kevlar extra plate clutch i make sure the gap is correct and follow set up instruction to the letter bike tick over 1000 rpm
i have it working so slight increase in throtle revs and bike moves everything is great during first test
and riding to the cost 40 miles when i arrive bike is great stop at traffic lights everything is still good
on riding 40 miles home as i slow for lights i am having to apply extra brake pressure as bike is trying to pull i stop at lights bike is hard to hold have to hold in clutch to stop it pulling , pull away now requires slightly more revs
i join behind slowing traffic bike is pulling again have to use brakes and apply clutch to control bike
this has now happened sevearl times i even had are local harley dealer and are local indian dealer set the clutch up and every time the same thing happened i am fortunate that NADB are paying for the set ups but they will only pay for one futher try

please can you help

On 28 July 2016 at 15:32:03 +01:00, EFM AUTO CLUTCH INC. <garry@efmautoclutch.com> wrote:

Its gets hot because its slipping in other gears then first. When they heat up, they swell up and the clearance goes away, it will keep getting worse as you ride since they keep getting hot.

Increase your shift points between each gear, you cannot lug the motor around.

Thank you for the interest in EFM auto clutch.
Hi Gary ,

The 40 mile each way trip is motorway riding so in top gear doing 80 MPH OR 128KPH

Kind regards

If your primary is getting hot, then its slipping to much or if you have a lot of torque.

Its a RPM engaged pressure plate.

Garry Buzzelli
EFM Auto Clutch Inc.

Its gets hot because its slipping in other gears then first. When they heat up, they swell up and the clearance goes away, it will keep getting worse as you ride since they keep getting hot.

Increase your shift points between each gear, you cannot lug the motor around.

Garry Buzzelli
EFM Auto Clutch Inc.
3101 State Route 14
Rootstown, Oh. 44272
330 947 1700

shame i spent £1400 to find out how many other riders has he cheated