Disabledbiker Forum

Provided by The National Association for Bikers with a Disability
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 14:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Leading link forks???
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 am 

Has anyone fitted leading link fork for better steering handling, I was told these were better for steering but I have never used them. If any has used them I would welcome all comments and views, good or bad.
Cheers ALAN
SHEFFIELD S25 4EQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 05:36 am 
Hurricane

What are you thinking of putting them on?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 19:57 pm 
Hurricane

Well depends what you mean by "better".... but as a short answer I'd say "yes"
They make the steering lighter and eliminate tank slappers. As Dik says, what are you putting them on and why do you think you might need them?
I've had several sidecar outfits over the years and one trike and always with the standard forks, managed fine to go local runs to the shops/work etc, medium runs for a day out in the countryside somewhere and long runs to rallies involving riding 400 miles in a day. Never had a problem and would still use them today but last year I bought a new outfit with leading links and find a big difference. The steering is lighter, so much so that you may need a steering damper so you don't over do it and turn 90 degrees into a hedge first time out, it has no shaking of the bars at slow speeds but I find the turning circle is reduced. I'd stick with a motorbike tyre on the front as it tracks better than a flat car tyre and helps keep the steering light.
Basically I'd say leading links are an improvement over standard forks but they are not a necessity, much like power steering and electric windows on a car.... nice but you can manage without them.

I am Immortal - so far!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 22:20 pm 
Hurricane

I was wondering about putting leading link forks on my trike as I was finding it hard to steer, found myself talking to an engineer and he suggester that extended yokes would be a better answer, changing the rake to make steering easier - so I got him to make me some and he was right!

Bobbi White